• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C'ed K6-2, 3.4VC gonna fry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gazzrawly

I have my 450mhz K6-2 @ 533mhz 3.2Voltage Core. Do u think by increasing it to 3.4 or even 3.5VC (motherboard max) it will fry the CPU. I currecntly have a coolermaster AMD Athlon 2000XP HSF on it, so no worries about overheating :D ... I've increased the VC to 3.2 before and tried to make the cpu boot into windows 98 at 550mhz, but it wudn't have any of it. It posted etc, but just before desktop appeared, it gave me the old Windows protection error - which basically means...ur system is seriously UNSTABLE! :)
I've included some images of the HSF

new_HSF_1.JPG
new_HSF_2.JPG

new_HSF_3.JPG

how can u increase it to 3.5 when normal is 1.50-1.75? or am i confused? errrrm....
i was once caled indecisive, now im not too sure :p

AcEmAsTr said:
how can u increase it to 3.5 when normal is 1.50-1.75? or am i confused? errrrm....
i was once caled indecisive, now im not too sure :p

For a K6-2, normally the voltage is either 2.2v or 2.4v.

Back to the main question : 3.4v might be alright for your paritcular chip, but I wouldn'T run mine at that speed. I mean, do you really wanna go 1.0v higher than normal just to get ~70MHz increase ? the difference might be noticeable, but I wouldn't risk my CPU for it. Though that's my choice. Again, depending on your CPU, it might very well support it, or not.

btw, your pics don'T work

I wouldn't go over 2.8 or 2.9 volts MAX on that chip. temps aren't everything and overvolting can kill the chip pretty easily I read once one guy put 3.4volts through his chip and it worked, then a bit later put 3.5volts and it immidiatly fried.

I doubt that it will last too long at 3.2v, much less 3.4 or 3.5v. Have you ever heard of electromigration? That much voltage most probably cause electromigration to happen pretty fast, even though you keep the proc cool.

i dont know....its an old MSI board doesn't have temps in bios or a thermal diode i think is none-existant...but i run it at full load and its gotta be under 30*C...feels stone cold

I have a 450 as well ( see sig) and it runs quite warm but is running perectly stable, Bios reports 600Mhz but WCPUID says 604... eh whatever, 4Mhz ain;t gonna do jack anyway, but too the point, I would not even touch 3V on a k6-2 unless you don't care if it dies. My 550, which is a K6-2+ ( on die cache) won't even post at 630 ( 105 X 6) but runs perfect at 6 X 100. Maybe its the RAM, prolly, I think its got PC100 in that mobo. The 450 is running 133 X 4.5

JDXNC said:
I have a 450 as well ( see sig) and it runs quite warm but is running perectly stable, Bios reports 600Mhz but WCPUID says 604... eh whatever, 4Mhz ain;t gonna do jack anyway, but too the point, I would not even touch 3V on a k6-2 unless you don't care if it dies. My 550, which is a K6-2+ ( on die cache) won't even post at 630 ( 105 X 6) but runs perfect at 6 X 100. Maybe its the RAM, prolly, I think its got PC100 in that mobo. The 450 is running 133 X 4.5

I'm guessing your chip is a 2.2v version ? well, all I can say is ... WOW ! 150MHz overclock with a normal K6-2 ! and with only .3v increase in voltage ! lol, mine sucks, it can't even do 475 at 2.7v :( Nice OC :D

Back