• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling my AMD rig, going for p4 need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krowa 02

Im going to go through with it, I am ****ed off with this rig, something is fudged up with one of my ide connectors, and I cant overclock this pos passed 166 fsb. So im going to ebay this cpu board and case and save my hd and gf3.

My question is what should I buy, im going to save my pc3000 ram, and im going to use it in my next system if I have to.

I was going to wait until the prescott came out but im just getting to frustrated with this pc. I have never built a p4 system and I want to know what should I get, I will spend around 300-400 dollars, just cpu board and ram if I have to, I have all the rest (oh and if you have any suggestions on a good case/psu please let me know ;) I may save this psu but it depends. So please lend me your ideas I am open.

I just built a sweet P-4 system for a buddy recently. I had him order the following components from newegg.com for only a tad more than $400 shipped: 1.8A Northwood P-4 CPU, Abit BD7-II motherboard, 512 meg Samsung PC2700 DDR RAM, and Chieftec Model DH-01W case with 450 watt power supply.

Since you have good RAM already, you can get the same mobo, CPU, and case/PS for $303 shipped. Not bad. You are pretty much guaranteed to overclock this sucker to an easy 2.4 gig (often at default voltage), and sometimes you can run up to 2.7 gig with good cooling. If you have a little more cash, you might upgrade to an Abit IT7 Max2 version 2.0 and/or a faster C1 CPU.

if you can't get the it7max2 v2...then get the p4pe.

with that memory that you have the 4/5 mem ratio will keep your bandwith high.

btw, yes the it7max2 v2 has the 4/5 ratio.

as for the chip....the 1.8a is the best bang for the buck.

mica

I stand by Mica

Krowa means Cow in polish :D

Jesli rozumiesz po polsku to lec za 1.8a i nawet nie patrz na AMD. Ja mam teraz 2.4b przetaktowany na 3giga. Czlowieku zaden AMD na swiecie ci tego nie dogoni. Wczesniej mialem XP2000 i to byl ok sprzet ale jak przejdziesz na Intel to zostaniesz z Intel.

Pozdrawiam Kamil.

i concur with the 1.8a being the chip to get. as for the mobo, you can't go wrong with mica's or batboy's suggestions... it's kinda like what flavor icecream would you like to today? batboy is suggesting good 'ol vanilla (i've been running a beedee7II for months with out a hiccup), while mica's taste is running a bit more exotic (ben and jerry's chunky monkey perhaps) with the it7max2 v2 and its legacy-free operation.

welcome to the wonderful world of intel!

Back