• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slightly damaged slk-800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medicated

ok, so my cat managed to knock my slk-800 off my desk and it landed on the corner of it putting a nasty dent into the fins. i straightened them out as best i could, and here is what it looks like now

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

i can't actually test it til i get my new mobo, wondering if the damage will actually make it less effective or not.

at first look it i think that will make no differance

however try to seperate the fins if possible it would not be good if two were stuck together

I would try to fix it alittle batter with some plyers or whatever...but you should be fine!

Yeh the fins can be really fragile, and at the same time pliable, so you should be able to get it close to its original spot. I doubt it will have a big affect on the performance though, so don't stress too much over it.

Get a little stack of post-it-notes or whatever, just thick enough to fit a normally spaced gap with slight friction.
Bend the fins a bit inwards.
Use the paper spacer as a tool to force the fins out to their original spacing.

Stumpjumper5200 said:
And as for insurance that this won't happen again, chain the cat to a large, immovable object far away from your computer :D
what happens when an unmovable object hits an unstoppable object?

brain teaser :D

its what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object. and to answer your question, if my cat is involved, the immovable object loses. she weighs about 6 lbs, yet has managed to knock a watermelon off the kitchen counter and knock over a bookshelf, full of books. she lifted the heatsink by the fan clips(stupid me, should've taken them out) and then when it was too heavy for her to play with, she dropped it. where ever she goes, she leaves a path of destruction in her wake...

well, finally got my new mobo so i could see if the damage affected the hs or not. relapped it, put it in, and works fine. cpu is running at 38C idle and 42C at load at 1.85 vcore

like some other ppl suggested, the fan holds the fins in place. besides, the fan sticks out much much farther than that fin ever could without being broken off.

I meant be careful that it ain't touching anything. YMMV, but I got fans touching each other..

Uhh, the person who sent me my AX7 used a hammer and bashed the fins in the corner in order to fit in his dual rig. I just bent the fins back and make the last two much more narrow as I need a screw going through there. It still works fine.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Back