• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The wonderful world of high speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

Heh, my parents refused to get me cable because it costs (according to them 50$ a month (CDN))

Fact is that for like ayyear now, it;s faster to send a postcard to my house the phoning cuz nobody ever gets through (unless I'm at school)

So just my little tip to all of you....one day I'll get high speed and, rings will start ringin'

Oh crap, that wasn't a tip at all :mad:

Do what I did: Beg them to get you another phone line so that they can get their calls while your online, then, a few months later, say, hey, since the 2nd phone line costs $20 + $20 for the ISP, why not pay $50, and cancel the other phone line and the ISP? It's only $10 more, and you get oh, so much more. Works better if you offer to pay the $10/mo extra too

lol, thats just how my sister is, you can't call her on the phone because she has her dialup modem going all the time

Lol, hey su root, thats exactly how I got my parents to get cable for us. Well, we never actually got the 2nd phone line, I just showed them that it was the same price ($40) and we could actually have more than one computer on teh net at a time.

My parents can't aford cable, dsl, or a second phone line.... So instead, after many days of yelling at me for being online for almost all day, they made me find someway to get the calls.

Enter callwave. It WAS free, but now is 9.95 or something like that.... Any call you get reaches an 'answering machine' type thing where they leave a message, and it's downloaded to your computer. There's other stuff out there too (probably for free also!).

JigPu

Oni said:
Look at me! I'm original! I pay for it myself!! :D

lmao...!!!

my thoughts exactly.... i'm sure even a young guy, or girl, can earn enough to cover it. i know, i know, i know...some are too young for working papers...etc. . my son is 11, and for the past 3 years, he earns money cutting lawns , and he's earned a few hundred each summer...which isn't long here. 3 months time? and during the winter, here, there are plenty of driveways to be snow-blowed. if my 11 year old can do it, you guys can too. so, feel confident. stand tall. and go break some sweat.

it will show your parents how responsible you are , because you won't be mooching off them. that earns you respect, and comes in handy later when you need to mooch.....i mean, ask your parents for some pc upgrade loot.

take it from me, i had to convince my wife that it was worth getting, and she's a mom to my kids. so, if i can convince a "mom" to get it, so can you .

good luck.....

JigPu said:
My parents can't aford cable, dsl, or a second phone line.... So instead, after many days of yelling at me for being online for almost all day, they made me find someway to get the calls.

Enter callwave. It WAS free, but now is 9.95 or something like that.... Any call you get reaches an 'answering machine' type thing where they leave a message, and it's downloaded to your computer. There's other stuff out there too (probably for free also!).

JigPu

i just dumped callwave because i just got the cable modem. but i think i was paying like 3 bucks per month, but i paid for a whole year in 2 installments, and for a month to month deal, it's like 4 bucks a month. the 10 bucks a month is for more options and other stuff i didn't need, and my 3 bucks a month covered caller id too, and if i was online and closed callwave , but didn't turn it back on, i would get an e-mail telling me i missed a call, and it gives me the number.

also, i needed to get call forwarding for my telephone for the callwave to work. if you don't have it, it's like 16 bucks to activate it , and 1.60 a month for the service, through the phone company

i know how you feel. my mom is like some broadband nazi. i even offer to pay for it and she starts b*tching about how the cable account is under her name:rolleyes:. so now i just spend all my extra cash on stuff that will p*ss her off. like my new sks rifle and 660 rounds of bosnian surplus ammo.

yep, i'm another of those "rare breeds". i also pay myself. £35/month i pay for my broadband (£75/total per month including MY digital T.V and phoneline).
I cant help but laugh at guys (and gals) who complain that their parents wont pay for something.
Makes me sad also. Sad because i bust my arse so i can pay for everything myself, while 90% of the people around me expect their parents to do everything for them them.

Simple for me....We can have internet with no AOL. we have yet to end both [dumn dad] of our AOL accounts so currently my parents are paying 90$/month and theyt dont care. Im so spoiled hehe

james.miller, what provider are you using?

I live in the UK as well, and my ADSL subscription costs me only £23.99 per month.

Mine is 512/256kb.

Just curious to know, thats all.

lol, that phone thing wouldn't work for m, you uys had to beg your parents for cable, I had to beg them for dial up lol

callwave was a good idea, I actually tried to get it when iwas free. but they didn't offer it in Canada

I would tell my parents that it is so important to me that I would pay for it. Then, find a job. Something that pays $50 Canadian/month can't be too much work.

well, I run with a competitve track team 4 days a week, have 3 hours sleep a night becaue I'm studyin gmy butt off...I don't think I could take a job, unless I'm looking at the Guiness book of records for most days without sleep

Maybe weekends? In any case, maybe you could tell your parents what you just said: studying hard, running track...maybe you deserve a little reward?

lol, they gave me 4 cans of peaches last christmas (big peaches, not the small cans) and I got two gloves htisyear...

I don't think they kow what a reward is

Ah well, I sometimes pay Yodums to download stuff for me, but he always complains that he gets virus's, it kills his badwidth...bah! what are cousins good for

hey i worked 2 years on weekends during football season,so i know its hard but i wanted a car.this was my olny way,and try and goto work after playing friday night game and then a saterday morning game then off to work for 4 hours that night.talk about hurting and sore.but i drove my car to work :D

if u want something bad enough you will find a way.

Back