• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is C-Dilla aka cdac11ba ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azhari

When I check the services running under WinXP I found a service called "C-DillaCdaC11BA" which executes CdaC11BA.exe. This service wasn't there when I first installed XP, but I found it after I installed some other softwares and drivers, so I don't know which one is the culprit.

Here is the question, what is this service? A search on google came up with some suggestions that it may be a program to monitor usage of CDRW drives. Is this true? Does anyone know for sure what it is or does?

I've seen some sort of C-Dilla used for copy protection and CD-ROM verification for programs like 3d Studio Max and maybe AutoCAD...

There is mention of the executable on http://www.dynedyr.org/blog.php?blogname=yngve&page=4.

The relevant part is;
" It seems Microsoft has bundled the same spyware with a Mechwarrior expansion, so there might be a bundle of new games that implement such radical measures. You can see if you have this malicious software installed by searching your computer for CDAC11BA.exe (which might be a running task too, it was for me) and c_dilla."

however, you may want to read the whole article for more info.

Thanks for the replies. I did read the article beforehand, but the author isn't sure of what it is or what it does either. He just suspects that its a monitoring program. I want to know if anyone knows exactly what it is and what it does. Can I safely delete it? Does it send information to someone/somewhere? Things like that.

I'm also curious as to the legality of it. But that's a whole other can of worms. I don't make illegal copies of anything, so I don't like to be treated like a thief. Putting a service in my computer to track me without my knowledge is calling me a thief and I won't stand for it. So I need to know as much as I can about it and then I'll talk to some of my lawyer friends and see if they have enough balls to do something about it :D

Im almost certain its to do with authenticating a program when installing it. I remember it being a pain in the *** when installing 3d studio max 3 on winXP as it wasnt compatible or some such problem so i had to update c-dilla.

Im pretty sure it has its own site somewhere, altho i really cant recall where, i would have thought a search would turn something up. maybe try searching 3dsm + cdilla or something?

C-Dilla IS a verification program for 3D Studio Max and for some other similarly expensive software, it emulates a licensing server so that you can use 3DS without having an expensive licensing server....I know that much because I have a cough.... evaluation .....cough version of 3DS and I have to run C-Dilla for it to work. What software did you install that you think it may have started that service, or open msconfig and look at the directory of the service and see if that says anything about what its there for. I promise that's the above cough was totally a respitory problem.....

:)

You should get something for that cough ;)

I played around with the programs a bit and figured out that the program reponsible for it is MathCad 2001i Pro.

I did disable the service before, but when I start MathCad, the service is restarted. The funny thing is that if the service's property is set to disabled, mathcad messes with the settings and sets it to enabled and automatic.

I would still like to know what the purpose of it is, that is to say, what is the function of cdilla? Does it track usage? Does it report stuff? Does it only check my license? WTF does it do? Basically, is it benign or is it spyware?

I have a firewall and mine never wants acess to the internet, so I would say that it is benign, and all its doing is regulating a license server so that the program itself thinks its licensed, it does nothing more as far as I know.

And I'll get something for that cough,,,,,,thanks for caring

;)

Thanks for all the info guys. My firewall doesn't report anything outgoing from C-Dilla either. But it could be reporting under an svchost service, which does ask for access to the internet.

I also found the C-Dilla website by searching google for "c-dilla" and it is a company that makes CD copy protections. I'll try and dig more into it.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Back