• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is good at cutting Lexan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A table saw for good straight lines and notches use a band saw / jig saw (24+ teeth pi) for round edges ect. Hole saw for fans and drill for making vents

I use a Roto-Tool. It's a saw that looks like a drill but the drill bit actually cuts. Makes a very clean cut in about anything.

Idealy, a laser would be the best thing to cut lexan. But chances are good that you don't have one laying around the house, in which case, a 2.5 amp+ jigsaw will do (with a 25 tpi). The Bosch teeth are very nice and strong.

Or you can use a dremel like I did my first time cutting it. Went through 4 wheels and it took a good hour to cut through 12 inches.

Oni said:
I used a Lexan Knife. Good for straight edges, but not much else.

I also used one of these....worked fine but its takes a little while and involves a bit more elbow grease than the other methods.

Variable-speed jigsaw and multi-purpose (or plastic specific) blade. If you try to cut it too quickly or you use a blade with too many teeth you'll end up refusing the pieces together when it melts from friction. But I live using a table saw (with ABS/Plastic specific blade) or a band saw since they don't have that problem.

I've had bad luck with dremels and plastic. If you need to cat really small cuts or adjutment a dremel should do okay, but any large cuts it will be worthless and time consuming. I only use my dremel for detail work or edge finishing. In which case I use coarse etching or sanding bits.

I personally don't use holesaws unless I have access to a drillpress.

If you want some fancy cuts look in the yellow pages for water or laser cutting. I know a place local to me that does laser cutting. I'm tempted to give them a call and see how much I can have a few pieces of lexan zapped for. I have no idea what it would cost but its worth looking into.

Last edited:
I got a rotozip style attachment for my Dremel at Lowes for $15 and it cuts lexan quickly and accurately but take a steady hand.

Bender said:
If you want some fancy cuts look in the yellow pages for water or lazer cutting. I know a place local to me that does lazer cutting. I'm tempted to give them a call and see how much I can have a few pieces of lexan zapped for. I have no idea what it would cost but its worth looking into.

if i my dremel melts lexan i believe a laser would to so you mihgt get bad burn marks on the edges go with water if you can

I used my dremel with the little router attachment....NOT the router table, but just the router head thingy. Just set that up with a straight edge and off you go. I'm not sure how well it would work for curves.....if you have good control, then it should work great.

Oh yea, there should be a router bit that works for plastic...it came with my dremel, so I dunno cost/availability.

Anyway, when using a router to cut it, you won't have the problem of it fusing back together. BUT, you will have the problem of the melted plastic gumming up the bit.....that, and a lot of little plastic chunks lying about....they get in the groove and they block the router...very annoying.

DaveSauce said:
I used my dremel with the little router attachment....NOT the router table, but just the router head thingy. Just set that up with a straight edge and off you go. I'm not sure how well it would work for curves.....if you have good control, then it should work great.

Oh yea, there should be a router bit that works for plastic...it came with my dremel, so I dunno cost/availability.

Anyway, when using a router to cut it, you won't have the problem of it fusing back together. BUT, you will have the problem of the melted plastic gumming up the bit.....that, and a lot of little plastic chunks lying about....they get in the groove and they block the router...very annoying.

yeah thats what i meant by melting then turning into hot guey stuff that burns you

I just cut some yesturday for my wife. I am making a doll case for her. I figured I would try it on her stuff before I make my new computer case.
I used a Craftsman Rotory Tool with the spiral saw bit. It cut perfectly. I will suggest that you use a good solid straight edge and some strong clamps to hold it in place. I used a 4ft steel ruler.
You will get little peices of plastic stuck to what you cut, but they brush off quickly.

"If you want some fancy cuts look in the yellow pages for water or lazer cutting. I know a place local to me that does lazer cutting."

lazer = light amplification by the ....zebra?....emission of radiation?

hehe....sorry man...

=_=

I used my dads hand held circular saw to cut my lexan ... "lack of a table saw " and i tried to use a holesaw on my lexan but i was using my dads handheld drill.. i would rather have a drill press... i also used a jigsaw with a .. 32 tpi blade? ripped right through , and if you keep your speed up and push through you shouldnt get any melting "i didnt"

Back