Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Forum Feedback
Forum Feedback Likes and Gripes about the Forums. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

constantly loading the pages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 02:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
Shuruga2

constantly loading the pages

no, i dont mean that i'm here all the time. i mean that when i open a thread to read it, it never finishes loading.

i'm using IE (6.0.26)and the flag never stops waving, it always says "Opening page..." at the bottom, and the banner thats normally in the top right never appears.

is anyone else getting this?
its not a big problem, but i think its causing be to not be able to go to any links from inside a thread. altho buttons like submit and reply all work fine.

(even the submitting pages do this, i typed this whole thing without the page being 'done')

Old 01-05-03, 02:50 PM   #2
UnWishedLegacy

Your not the only one= the comps at uni have the same probs, no idea what causes it- my home system works fine (Ver. 6.0.28). whats your OS?

Old 01-05-03, 03:06 PM   #3
Gandalf

I'm on 6.0.28 and it stops loading just fine. Using WinXP too....
Gandalf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-05-03, 03:45 PM Thread Starter   #4
Shuruga2

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Toy
whats your OS?
XP.
and i've got all the latest win updated, etc.

Old 01-19-03, 06:24 PM   #5
ToledoSteel

I just read this on another thread dowload the latest Macromedia Flash and it fixes the problem. Link
ToledoSteel is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-20-03, 01:22 PM Thread Starter   #6
Shuruga2

thanks

Old 01-21-03, 07:58 AM   #7
Yodums

Yep it should happen to almost everyone. I know at school I have the exact same problem. It happens on the main forum and as well as other forum but not threads.

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-21-03, 03:56 PM   #8
CPFitz14

Its also happening to me....using the same IE version. I'll download that flash update and see how that does.

Oh...and Yodums....its happening right now...so it does happen in threads.

-CPFitz-
CPFitz14 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-21-03, 05:55 PM   #9
skip
OCForums Founder & Extraordinarily Elusive Administrator

10 Year Badge

It's the banner ads. The banner images are served from another site and if that's down, it will wait to load.

Old 01-21-03, 08:59 PM   #10
CPFitz14

Aha!

You're right....there's no banner ad in the upper right. Don't tell the advertisers, but I didn't even notice it was gone.

-CPFitz-

on a side note: How do you get paid for those Skip? Is it per click? Cause I'd be happy to click that thing a few hundred times.
CPFitz14 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-21-03, 10:19 PM   #11
skip
OCForums Founder & Extraordinarily Elusive Administrator

10 Year Badge

Not actually per click. We charge $400-$500 per month BUT, if the advertiser doesn't get any clicks, they won't renew. That's what happened to all of the other advertisers we had. No traffic from the Forums so they won't pay anymore. In fact, I don't think Vantec is going to renew.

Old 01-22-03, 02:37 AM   #12
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

oc-forums.com works fine for me. vantecs page doesnt seem to load. lol. could be that i'm on 56k and dont feel like waiting forever.

Old 01-31-03, 02:16 AM   #13
LittlePiggie

We all need to start clicking on that banner!!!
LittlePiggie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-03, 12:06 AM   #14
Penguin4x4
Are you my Daddy?
♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Senior Member ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Quote:
Originally posted by skip
Not actually per click. We charge $400-$500 per month BUT, if the advertiser doesn't get any clicks, they won't renew. That's what happened to all of the other advertisers we had. No traffic from the Forums so they won't pay anymore. In fact, I don't think Vantec is going to renew.
You mean I just overloaded my 1GB Swap File 5 times just for nothing?

OCForums Metal Club member #39

Need To Contact Me? Use E-Mail or Instant Messenger
Penguin4x4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-01-03, 01:21 PM   #15
UnWishedLegacy

Quote:
Originally posted by skip
I don't blame Vantec not wanting to renew- but as far as I remember, this ad for the Nexus panel has been here almost as long as I have (middle of last year)- maybe if there were some different adverts in places that a relevant to the forums- Nexus Panels in Accessories and Case Mods, DVD Burners and HardDrives in Storage etc etc...

There are only a certain number of times that people can look at the same advert and not get bored or irritated, sure you will get less revenue per banner but if you put different adverts in the relevant area then you can get more companies advertising in the forum and more money comming in if people are interested in various products.

An idea to get more trafic in the forum would be to have a logo in the main page (a bit of blue text isnt going to inspire anyone to click the link).

Old 02-01-03, 06:31 PM   #16
Maxvla

agreed partially ttoy.

instead of the same nexus advertisement for 500 years they should put in a new one each month. i personally think a tornado or stealth advertisement would do them much better than the nexus panel.

Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX460 1GB
Intel X-25M 80GB SSD
Magnetics - 2x2TB 4x1TB
Corsair HX850W PSU
NEC DVD-RW
Maxvla is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-15-03, 12:45 AM   #17
diggingforgold

10 Year Badge

I totally agree. I can only be somewhat interested in that banner once. Considering its the ONLY banner, I think it has captured enough people attention. This isn't a 'visitor' site. People don't go to google, punch in keywords, and oc-forums pops up. It doesn't work like that.

This is primarily a member only site. People don't flock here from huge search engines, they come here in small loads from overclockers.com front page. The vast majority of people here are members, and they have "done seen" that banner enough already. It's time for something new.
diggingforgold is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-03, 01:14 AM   #18
madsam

i , for one, have clicked their ad, and i even bought a nexus, but not that one advertised, i bought the one with 4 knobs. so, they are getting the clicks, and the business, but yeah, it's the advertisers fault if they leave the same stale ad there forever.

it's not like there is a problem trying to provoke members here to buy a product....i know since i have been here, i have spent a small fortune on my pc's, and will continue to, and if vantec, or anyone lists the proper ads, this is a big hit spot for it.

afa the loading thing, i get it too. i thought it was the firewall, and it's not, but i learned to live with it. i just downloaded the macromedia flash, and the pages still don't load, but other sites do, like newegg....etc.
madsam is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Forum Feedback
Forum Feedback Likes and Gripes about the Forums. No Post Count.