• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI universal serial bus, A7n8x deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ride 2zz

Just got done puttin together my new computer.

ASUS A7n8x deluxe
Abit siluro gf3 ti200dvi
1 Kingmax 256mb
maxtor 40gb
toshiba dvd rom
yamaha crw-f1
win98 se

Everytime I boot up, windows always come up with a prompt on installing a driver for "pci universal serial bus". And when I proceed to do so, it cant find the driver, i installed all the driver that came with the a7n8x, disabled the SATA. Nothing is connected to PCI. Im stumped on this one....need help!!!!

This is one of the problems I'm having with the board and windows 98. I really don't think this board likes windows 98 at all. I've been reading some other board and it seems we are not alone. Unless you are using 2K or xp, you are going to run into some problems right now.

Does your computer boot up slow also? My other computer with Iwill mobo boots up alot faster.

Basically here's what happens.....

I own copies of both 98 AND 98 se. Problem is neither works and each has it's own flaky results when I try to install either one. With the first edition of 98 I can actually install the operating system with no problems but when I try to install the motherboard drivers I get errors trying to find the following files...

wdmaud.drv
wdmaud.sys
swmidi.sys
portcls.sys
stream.sys
redbook.sys
sbemul.sys
gml6.dls
ks.sys

If I turn off all the periphial devices in the bios, then it is only missing the ks.sys for some reason. Everything is flaky with the periphals turned off, the performance of the system really sucks. It doesn't crash at least, just has horrid performance. I just still happen to have PCI universal serial bus with a driver not found for it.

If I install 98se.... well lets just say I can't. I get blue screens of death and rundll32 errors in the middle of the installation everytime. It's strange because it doesn't happen at the same point in the installation everytime. And once I actually got through with the install completely before it locked up when trying to bring up the desktop. Would lock up everytime thereafter though. It's really annoying the crap out of me since I don't have the money to go out and buy XP. Not after all I spent on the hardware for my new system. Grr. I think we are SOL at the moment.

Oh.. and like I said, ALL periphial devices have been tried both on and off. Used both 1001G, E, and C bios', and I have left everything at DEFAULT for my bios. I have used both my old chip (tbird 1ghz) and my new chip in it. Used 3 different vid card to see if that was causing a conflict and different hard/optical drives. It is not the added devices causing the problem but the motherboard with windows 98/98se.

I never had problem installing win98SE. Everything went fine and dandy except "pci universal serial bus". No lock up yet. i didnt run into any troubles you did. Maybee your mobo driver cd is different than mine?

When i installed the mobo drivers, i noticed something, the on the manual doesnt look exactly like the one on the cd. I dont have the drivers for SATA, i only have this options: NVidia nforce driver, QFE driver(this might be the sata driver not sure), and 3com driver. Plus on top it said " a7n8x motherboard support cd for WINDOWS 98".

I agree with you, the mobo is causing the "pci universal serial bus".

You have to go online for those drivers . Asus has USB drivers for Win 98 , ME and NT on their download site . I'd advise you to get them and give it a try .

sigh.. that's not the problem. I've tried the drivers off the CD, the 1.16 drivers from the asus website, and the 2.0 drivers from the nvidia site. Nothing works. Period. I finally just got a copy of XP pro, and now everything is going smooth as silk. It's just that this board has a few problems with windows 98 period. There are a buncha threads on othersites detailing all the problems people are having with 98 and this board.

Back