• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

peltier only cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, this would not work. Peltier's consume a lot of power, and the heatsink on the hotside of the peltier needs to dissipate the heat resulting from the pelt's power consumption and the CPU's power consumption.

Its possible to cool the hotside with water (prefered actually) but you do need something aside from the pelt.

My idea was to get rid of the cpu fan entirely. Water cooling is too expensive, Im not overclocking so I rather spend it all on the cpu´s. I just wanted to lower the noise produced by my 11-fan dual AMD.

Wont work- the wattage from a pelt can tax even a wc sytem. Also, pelts really arent any cheaper than water. A decent wattage pelt + psu will run you about $100 (unless you are super lucky on ebay)
You can build a wc system for often well under $100.

A water cooled system for dual cpus for less than $100? I dont think so, at least not with the prices I have to pay over here. More likely $300+.

rad you get get for $20 and you can make the waterblocks with just a normal drill and copper/alum. I got my Via 1200 for $30 so I guess thats only like $50, well under $100.

if you buy cheap tubing and pump, and make most of the stuff, it will be real cheap:)

Here is what I reccomend for cheap dualie cooling if you dont want to make a lot of parts.

$20 Maxi Jet 1200 295 GPH pump
$20 A chevette heater core or whatever you can fit
$40 2 swiftech MCW372 waterblocks yeah thats $20 each on www.swiftnets.com while they last
$2 10' of 3/8" Tubing from Home depot
$5 Misc hose barbs and hose clamps
$15 A 120mm fan of your choice or a 172mm if you look around
$? Home made shroud for the fan / heater core, free or cheap.
$10 Optional resivoir and barbs made out of a 4x4x4 electrical box from Home Depot

two tecs and their supplieswill cost a heck of a lot mosre then a two wb wcing sys

Bender said:
$20 A chevette heater core or whatever you can fit

Other good rads are the ones from air conditioners. Since they have two rads, you can use both in a RAID 0 (parallel?) like setup for great flow or in series setup for better disapation.

air conditioners use condensors and would be a bad to use them for water, they have small channels and would kill your flowrate. Stick with those $20 chevy heatercores and you wont go wrong.

Thats why I said you could set them up in a parallel config. That would surely flow MORE than enough. And in that config I bet it would perform better than the little chevette heater core.

naw, u'd need four or more of them air conditioners thingies cuz they prolly only have 1/4" tubing

Back