• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows CD replacement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

Is it possible to get a replacement for a ruined Win98 cd? Mine got ran over (long story) and I need to install windows on my mom's comp. Microsoft support was about as helpful as a wart on my *** and they weren't very nice either. Is there any way to get a replacement of win98 SE? ;)

The following link will get you started in the right direction afa the correct MS support phone numbers:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/

If the Win98 CD came with your mom's computer, you'll need to call the computer manufacturer for a replacement. If it was the retail version, try calling MS at (800) 426-9400 and explain the situation. If you registered your copy, they should be able to send you a working CD for a nominal fee. ;)

the business we got it from 4 years ago is no longer. they went under a year ago. I tried the microsoft support. they are worthless.

Got a friend that has a 98SE CD?

Just make a copy (or use the original), but use *your* license key.

And next time, make backups! :eek:

grr. I broke down and called. I'm on the OEM phone thingy.

HOLY *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45 bux!!!!!!

jesus christ

I think I'll go get one from other sources. legal of course.

ThePerfectCore said:
Got a friend that has a 98SE CD?

Just make a copy (or use the original), but use *your* license key.

And next time, make backups! :eek:

I did make a backup. The backup won't boot with cdrom support.

Just get a copy of someone else's, it doesnt matter as long as you have your own license. You are licensed for the software, not the CD (I think?)

i had the same problem a while ago when 98 was the latest thing my friend sat on my 98CD and snapped it in half!

LittlePiggie said:

I did make a backup. The backup won't boot with cdrom support.

go to www.bootdisk.com and download a bootdisk :). Boot up with the floppy, and select "Boot with CD-ROM support" or somehting like that. Then just type in your CD-ROM letter (E: or something), and type Setup.exe

As long as you have the cab files on a Cd then you will be able to reinstall with the help of the bootdisk,Pm me if you wanna know how to install from cabs on the Hard drive.

mamer

yeah, but when I try to boot with cd rom support, it hangs at the first set of messages. on both my rigs.

Try each of the windows 98 boot disks that are available. If your still having trouble with the various 98 disks, give the 95b boot @ bootdisks.com a try too.

Unless you burn your backup from an iso image you created from the original, it isn't going to be CD bootable. If you have a floppy drive it doesn't need to be. Use any flavor of dos boot with cd-rom driver support, ms-dos,95,98 etc and change directory to the cd. some bootdisk.com boot floppies with ramdrive will shift all the driveletters up one letter. One (my favorite) doen't have ramdrive and changes only the cd-rom to R:\.

Once you get to the cd type dir and see if you see setup.exe. If so, just type setup and hit enter. That should fire up the installer and 98 will take over from there.

First chance I get, I'm backing up my $300 (original replacement cost) w2kPro full version CD and putting the original in my safety deposit box. I'd sure hate to have to replace it. I got a great deal from a friend for $70. Half of what it's going for on ebay.

Last edited:
sweet deal on w2k dood!! I wish I could find those kind of deals. I wish i had friends who knew what the damn motherboard was, but that's another rant.

I'll try all the other boot disks on the site.

Back