• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maybe an airflow problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lax101

Registered
I made a blow hole on top of my case and it works (antec smart fan). But then I removed the orginal cpu cooler (orb3) and replaced it with a slk-800 wit a vantec tornado and put the delta in front as intake. But now my case runs at 20c and the cpu runs at 35c. But before that both cpu and case were running almost balanced maybe off by 3 degrees (22c/25c). What did I do wrong?

well lets see... first off im not sure its possible to really have a 3 degree difference between case and cpu temperature with air cooling - anyone have input on this? I may be wrong and if so, nice job... I just didnt think it was possible, maybe you have taught me something. next, your temps right now of 20C and 35C sound closer to realisitic values, but they definetly arent as good as i would expect from the slk-800 - cpu 15 degrees above case temp. most likely possibilities where you may have gone wrong? installing the heatsink, applying too much thermal grease, not cleaning the cpu of old thermal compound and reapplying new... im not sure but maybe with this bump you will get more responses. good luck. :)

Last edited:
im running an amd 2200 with an slk800 and get temps of 28C -33C load but i had higher temps when i moved cpu cooler around to much and had to reapply as3 wich fixed the problem. hope this helps

original setup

before i applied the slk and vantec. I had the orb on the cpu and the vantec as intake and the enermax as exhaust and an antec 92mm smartfan as the blow hole exhaust. But then i got the slk and put th evantec on and had two enermax fans on as intake the other as outake wit the 92mm got the same results except the 92 was to weak and was now pulling in because of the vantec is to powerfull. Then i was given the delta to compesate for the lack of intake but now the cpu runs at 35c and the case 25c this is now normal but when i had it the other way which some how was possible (case at 22c cpu 25c) for me was the other setup i had. Im No thinging of changeing all my intake to vantec tornados and my blow hole to maybe a delta or vantec.:( :rolleyes:

Well I don't know much about how far the orb sticks out but I would imagine your new HS with the 38mm wide tornado sticks out pretty far. If it is much farther than you orb, then that may be your problem. Once I had a retail AMD heatsink with the 60mm fan on it, but when I got a 60-80mm fan adapter and put a more powerful 80mm fan on, my temps rose, because the fan was almost touching the side of the case and didnt have very much room to get a good suction.

Just my .02 cents.

To point out the obvious, your case temps dropped 2C. It's only your processor temps that have risen. My first thought would be you don't have the heat sink applied properly.

You may have it applied fine. It could be that your blow hole has created negative pressure, and there isn't enough air inside the case to dissipate the heat off of the processor.

You may have it applied fine. It could be that your blow hole has created negative pressure, and there isn't enough air inside the case to dissipate the heat off of the processor.

Thats the thing i applied it 2 times each time cleaning the chip and heatsink thoroughly the reattaching it to the mobo. its sitting on correctly no problem about that. It then must be the airflow. I had a great positive airflow now I have a very bad airflow will more power airflow fans work for in take? Or hould i go witht the original setup I had or is it just going to be a process of trial and error:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It will probably be a process of trial and error. Nevertheless, I'll throw in my two cents. I definately wouldn't do away with an exhaust fan, but you may want to limit the exhaust cfm. There is not doubt that an exhaust serves a good purposes. However, if you are exhausting too much, you will also suck out the quality air. I would use your weakest fan to exhaust, and then have ample cfm pushing into the case.

I fixed my mistake i switched the to high input fans. I now made the vantec an intake and the delta on the hs. Some of you are going to tell me that this is still impossible but my cpu is now 26c and my case is 24c and this is only air cooling don't ask how i did it im not even sure myself. Im not making this up or making myself feel better but thses are the idle temps. The full load temps aren't much higher. Full load after 3 hours of q3 arena cpu 29c and case 27c. Im not sure how I did this and i did try 3 sources for the right temp and these are the readings for idle and full load. But still i will drive myself to get even lower temps on air

congrats on the results, those are good temps. i dont mean to be a downer, but i have to make the call on the exact temps being displayed. there is probably an issue with calibration going on and the cpu temperature is not actually that low, regardless however, i have not seen anyone get temps that low displayed on simple air cooling - of course i havent looked around a whole lot either. i wont go into all the physical and scientific reasons why the cpu temp probably isnt that low, there is no point, and its not that serious - and more importantly, im not gonna be a prick and bring you down - i will just say that as an observer who doesnt have all the facts, i would be weary of believing such statements without seeing hard evidence. good luck with your future cooling! :) see ya around.

Back