• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill Boards and 1.2 t-Bird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjelek

I have heard that the new KT133A Iwill and MSI boards will not do 266 fsb with unlocked 1.2 t-birds. Can anyone verify this problem?

thanks

that isnt true...
some people have got their boards up to 155...
jIwill is supposed to be really good...

this maybe true I read it somewhere! I am almost sure of it. I can't remember but I will find the link to the review. I was looking to make sure the bios had a 4way interleaving option and it does but it has a problem with fsb of 266.

Theboard has ONE important jumper. It destinguishes the busspeed to be either 100-132 or 133-200MHz. With my unlocked TBird 1.1 I noticed that the board still tried to boot at 11x100, but would not automatically detect and boot in 133MHz mode.

Once I lowerd the multiplier manually to 8.5 or 9, or 10, it boots at 133 and above.

Don't know how it detects the default multiplier in an unlocked CPU. Possibly part of the microcode?

Dont' know how this will pan out with 266s.

Yo

I keep looking for someone to confirm this is true. Where did you hear it? Link? There is only a $17 price difference between a 1.1 and 1.2 and I need to order my cpu. If I can't find some proof this is actually happening to ppl with 1.2 unlocked processors I'm going for it.

There has been lots of discussion of this known issue of IWIll kk266 boards trying to run at 133mhz and above.

There has been a lot of activity on amdmb.com There has been a lot of activity there recently from disappointed KK266 owners. It seems that this is mainly a concern with people who own version 1.2; which should be listed on the board or on startup. I believe that newegg.com, and axiontech.com have been shipping version 1.2 during the last couple of weeks.
Iwill just released a new BIOS update on March 5th so there could be a fix there.

This is a known problem that is not only occuring with IWILL but also with MSI boards.

Amiel

I have talked to reviewers and iwill about this and I am getting a lot of BS from Iwill.

They told me that only the 1.2 versions will not work with an overclocked 1.2 gig Tbird.
AND that very few of these got out.

Well I have seen reviews with 1.1 boards that will not run a 1.2 gig OC ( tired of posting the links)

SO 1.2 and IWILL is a no go...IWILL did say if it didn't work you could send it in and have it fixed. SO this is NOT a bios problem.

I have heard that the new "C" 1.2 GHz CPUs (133/266 MHz FSB) run OK though. It's apparently only a problem for the older 100/200 MHz FSB 1.2 GHz birds when you overclock.

THE Problem is specific to only THE 1.2/266fsb FACTORY UNLOCKED PROCESSOR !!!The IWILL and THE MSI will not boot with the jumper set to the 133 setting !!I called MSI and asked for there input thay said THAY NEVER TRIED THAT PROCESSOR!
There solution is to leave the jumper at 100,LMFAO

DaveB have you seen for sure that this board works ok with the new 266 chip?
How would it be to take this chip and lower it to 9 and run it at 150?
or 8.5 x150?
What I mean is will the 266 chip run the same oc as the 200, provided it will do it. I know a ll chips are not the same.
but a capable 266 could run the same multiplier and buss as a 200, am I correct in that?

I took the chance and bought a KK266R and a 1.2 T-Bird (200). Got a revision 1.1 board and the TBird is unlocked. Runs fine at 140 X 9 at default voltage. LL it will go higher (I've run the memory up to 150 just for a boot) but only have a stock CPU cooler on it now so the temp under heavy load is high.

Only problem is the usual stuff with a SB Live board. And my IBM deskstar died during the install (s). Good thing I has a small WD on hand (spare parts are a wonderful thing).

Appears the problems are random at least on the rev 1.1 boards.

Anjelek (Mar 11, 2001 02:27 p.m.):
I took the chance and bought a KK266R and a 1.2 T-Bird (200). Got a revision 1.1 board and the TBird is unlocked. Runs fine at 140 X 9 at default voltage. LL it will go higher (I've run the memory up to 150 just for a boot) but only have a stock CPU cooler on it now so the temp under heavy load is high.

Only problem is the usual stuff with a SB Live board. And my IBM deskstar died during the install (s). Good thing I has a small WD on hand (spare parts are a wonderful thing).

Appears the problems are random at least on the rev 1.1 boards.

Great news.

Regarding the SB Live, why aren't you using the onboard Audio chip? It seems to be rather decent. Also check in bios I think that slots 1(graphics card) and 5 and 2 and 6 share IRQs, and the onboard soundcard shares IRQ with slot 3. So problem devices should probably be installed in slot 4.

Yo

Back