• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IMO cooling should be mandatory for HDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulie

I'm not saying that heat is the single cause of drive death, but I am willing to bet in many cases that heat was indeed the factor in a drive's death when it was thought to be defective.
Since 10 years ago virtually all of those HDs that I did not have a fan on died within 2 years. For the past 3 years I've been using those dual slim fans that screw onto the belly of the drive and I've not had a single drive die on me yet.

I agree, I had a drive temporarily stop working because it overheated. I've used active cooling on all my 7200 RPM drives since then. My current rig has 2 80mm fans together in 2 5" bays to cool my 2 disks. Those single 5" bay coolers are junk.

-Rav

I have a fan pushing air across my two drives, I just feel so much better when they are kept cool because they can really get pretty warm.

I have an 80mm fan in the drive bay with my Maxtor, its cool to the toch after runnin 24/7

my friend has the same exact drive in his case with no cooling on it,, and it runs real warm

u can take his drive out and lay it on the table for 30 min, and compair it to my drive thats currently runnin, and mine still feels cooler =)

and his drive is also ALOT louder

and mines older with more use

Back