• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7M266-D -? + or - 1 mhz increments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2los

On a A7M266-D how do you adjust the FSB?
Can the PCI-AGP slot be locked, or is there a divider setting?
Manual doesn't say much on this.

Using Stock heatsink+ fans on MP processors but getting 46-49c at idle and 59-61c full load, room temp ~23c. Is this normal? I'm using antec 830 case with 480 psu. 2 fans in front 2 fans in back.

Suggestions greatly appreciated:D

Welcome to the forums.

I have the same board. You have to set the jumper on the board to Jumper-Less mode in order to change the FSB via the bios. As far as I know you can only increase 1 mhz at a time. Kinda annoying, but it works. Good luck overclocking, i didn't have much luck.

No PCI-AGP lock on the board. What kinda grease you have on those retail heatsinks?

Chuck those stock hsf's and get you something a little more decent. Anything over 50c isn't acceptable in my book. Just about anything copper will perform better, especially with a 7-8000 rpm fan on it. You can find something that will perform better for a fairly cheap price here: Nexfan:cool:

As far as I know you can only increase 1 mhz at a time. Kinda annoying, but it works. Good luck overclocking, i didn't have much luck.

No, You can you keep hitting the plus 1mhz button and watch the fsb increase. The highest I got on this board was a whopping 139mhz fsb.

PCI and AGP cannot be locked or manuallly set. the dividers kick in automatically.

My max temperature is about 52C. I use only one 12V 120mm exhaust fan at 7V. with really cheap heatsinks.

A pair of SK-6's, SK-7's, or SLK-800's are your best best for good cooling and you can slap low noise fans on them and still get a god overclock. I've got a pair of SLK-800's on a MSI K7D Master with dual XP1600's overclocked to XP2100, using Panaflo L1A fans (80mm, 24 CFM, 21 dBA, almost completely silent) and my temps never go over 45C.

Also, be aware that the A7M266-D mobo is actually reading the cpu diode for temps and not an in-socket thermistor so it will show higher temps than what you are normally used to. Do upgrade your hsf's to a premium solution like the SLK800 though; that is what I just ordered for my newest dually system I will be building soon.

kevmarks said:

Cover your ears!! Is that a helicopter?

No kidding. Don't consider any high speed deltas.. the whine will make your hair stand on end. Definately go for moderate fans, as they cool very well since you aren't overclocking a huge amount.

muddocktor said:
Also, be aware that the A7M266-D mobo is actually reading the cpu diode for temps and not an in-socket thermistor so it will show higher temps than what you are normally used to. Do upgrade your hsf's to a premium solution like the SLK800 though; that is what I just ordered for my newest dually system I will be building soon.

Newer revisions do this? Neither of mine do, but they're initial 1.03 revisions.

My board is a rev. 1.04 with the working onboard USB, Jon. I read that they were using the cpu diode at some other forums, maybe 2cpu or extreme systems.

just incase what that other person said wasnt clear, you can use the + and - buttons on the NUMPAD while you set it to manual and you are selected on it. also, as far as i know, you cant change the divider either manually or automatically...its always on a 1/4 divider, if we could set it at a 1/5 or 1/6 we would be able to use 333fsb cpus :)

It's nice to see someone with my board posting similar TEMPS.

I'm running a Dual 2000+ MP system.
At full load my temps reach ~60C and stay at about 55C idle.

As for Overclocking, I can raise the FSB to 138 without any problems (BTW: using stock cooling and retail AMD HSF)

BUT...when you've got dual 2000+ and raising the FSB to 138 (+5) only gives you a hundred extra mhz. Is it really worth it?!?!?

Let me know what cooling solution you decide to use (HSF).
Even though I don't overclock, I still like to run a cool system.

The best heatsinks on the market for duals are the SLK-800's. I use them on two of my duallies, paired with Panaflo L1A fans (24 CFM @ 21 dBA). I've got lower temps with this combo, than I've ever had with ANY other heatsink combo, ever.

dual XP1600's @ 1800 MHz, running 86F on CPU1, 104F on CPU2, and 73F case temp, average CPU usage 100% on both CPU's. This is the average temps of my system, folding proteins 24/7, running for about 12 hours, since last reboot.

The great thing about the SLK-800 is that you don't need high speed fans to get great cooling. I'm using low CFM, low noise fans and getting fabulous cooling. BTW, the fan on CPU2 is blowing up, away from the heatsink, while the fan on CPU1 is blowing down, toward the heatsink. This helps temps a LOT on my system.

cmcquistion said:
BTW, the fan on CPU2 is blowing up, away from the heatsink, while the fan on CPU1 is blowing down, toward the heatsink. This helps temps a LOT on my system.

What is your case fan setup in this system? Any blow-holes?

No blow holes, just the three intake fans on the front of my full tower Antec and 2 exhaust fans in the back. All are filled with low speed, low noise Panaflo L1A's.

Yeah, I think I was getting a feedback loop of sorts, with the air cooling the two CPU's. Reversing the second one, took that loop out. Now, one of my case fnas blows in a path that goes over CPU1, which blows down, some of that air gets sucked up through heatsink 2, and then gets exhausted out one of the rear exhaust fans.

I think this is just optimal for my case airflow pattern, maybe.

All I know is, these are the lowest temps I've ever gotten with this system on air. I was watercooling it before, but that doesn't count. Apples and Oranges.

Back