• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The numbers of Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
speaking scientificly, it's the number of WUs, the more WU gets done, the closer we are to the cure. But speaking for glory, the more points you get the better :D

So my score of 103.62 is what I should be looking at for team 32 rankings and 14Wu's for my personal controbution to the Folding cause???

Points or WUs kind of go hand in hand in the way that proteins worth more points are usually harder to complete.

Just the fact that you're contributing (and for team 32 :D) is what matters the most!

The VTech said:
So can I pick the WU's I want to do?? I don't mind doing ones that take forever to complete. :D

Right now you have no choice in the WUs you get. Someday they will implement a system where it will choose based on your system speed I think.

The VTech said:
Ah. I see. Well I guess I'll just have to see about getting more than one PC running this.

and this is how the addiction usually starts....first on one computer, finish a few units, get a couple points, say to yourself "hey self, this is kinda fun, and helpful to society at the same time!"

next thing you're looking for another PC to set it up in... pretty soon every PC in the house has F@H running on it and you're getting steamed when someone turns off a machine before bedtime

third step is you're looking at ways to acquire ninja skills :sn: in order to set up machines in other people's houses/businesses so that they can fold for you too

fourth step is when you find yourself spending a lot of time looking at online computer vendors, convincing yourself that it's worth a couple hundred dollars to buy even MORE computers, even though you will never play a game on them, or surf the net on them, and that all they'll do is sit in the corner and churn out WU's 24/7

and, well, before you know it, you're changing every lightbulb in the house to a 40 watt bulb to help cut down on rising energy costs, waking up in your cold house on a frigid January morning to go sit in the warmest room in the house, the one heated by overclocked AMD processors, to check and see if you've broken the top 300 yet

but hey, life is short....fold hard and enjoy the ride!

viking84 said:

and this is how the addiction usually starts....first on one computer, finish a few units, get a couple points, say to yourself "hey self, this is kinda fun, and helpful to society at the same time!"

next thing you're looking for another PC to set it up in... pretty soon every PC in the house has F@H running on it and you're getting steamed when someone turns off a machine before bedtime

third step is you're looking at ways to acquire ninja skills :sn: in order to set up machines in other people's houses/businesses so that they can fold for you too

fourth step is when you find yourself spending a lot of time looking at online computer vendors, convincing yourself that it's worth a couple hundred dollars to buy even MORE computers, even though you will never play a game on them, or surf the net on them, and that all they'll do is sit in the corner and churn out WU's 24/7

and, well, before you know it, you're changing every lightbulb in the house to a 40 watt bulb to help cut down on rising energy costs, waking up in your cold house on a frigid January morning to go sit in the warmest room in the house, the one heated by overclocked AMD processors, to check and see if you've broken the top 300 yet

but hey, life is short....fold hard and enjoy the ride!

I am sitting somewhere between three and four. I didn't replace the bulbs, I just stopped turning on lights, I did turn the heat off though. I think we are gonna need a 12 step program after this folding project stops. There's going to be a trail of bent hangers and perfectly stored clothing behind some of us...:D

Ive Been folding for a few weeks, and now i am on christmas break (from college) and i am slowly taking some computers at work, but not sure if i will be able to leave them on after i go back, but hey, least i got a few WUs during my break. I am trying to convince my friends to fold also, but they are reluctant, they play "games" and they can't have any lag, they wont believe me that it wont affect them, and if it does, then they can pause the WU... Damn kids these days *evil grin* Least i will always have my AMD 1.73 and my brothers 1.3. Trying to get my brothers girlfriends P4 1.8, but she doesn't want to, she is afraid that it will mess up her computer..... *sigh*

Touche Viking84!!

I have been Folding for less than a week and have already snuck onto my best friend's computer and got it Folding for me. My parents shall be the next victim (going to see them either tonight or tomorrow...wanted to *talk* with them :D). I already set up my old p2-266, Folding 24/7, if these damn people would leave it on!! I set my main rig to boot up automatically at 11:00 PM, just in case it gets shut down. :D

It is beginning to resemble my smoking habit a lot. I wake up in the middle of the night needing to take a leak. Do that, smoke a stoge and check on my WUs. LOL

I try to leave the lights off and lower the heat (stock HSF...never can be too careful). My computer room is by far the warmest room in the house. Hehehe And they wonder why I am never cold.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be needing to talk to my old boss soon too. *devilish grin* He has a P4 2.2, P4 1.8, and a P3 800. Oh, I can see the WUs now...

Back