• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston pc2700 won't oc' !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conan

Kingston pc2700 won't oc' !! edit**

here is my problem
my specs :
athlon xp2000+ locked
abit kx7-333
Enermax 350W PSU
kingston value ram pc2700 512MB with infineon chips (1 stick)
winXP
Asus GeForce4 Ti4600
i have 1cd-rom and a plextor 24x burner both slave to my 2 master hdds
i have 2 pci cards, a sb live5.1 and my NIC (no special brand, it's SURECOM)
I just did an upgrade from 2 256 kingsotn pc2100 to the one above.Before i could go as high as 135 fsb to run have my system running stable at most agressive settings, that is Ultra, Cas 2, 1T
i can raise the Vdim up to 2.85 but i don't see any change.
After getting my new stick i tried to push it but even at 135 it won't load xp, it is restarting after trying to boot the logo.sys(the loading windows image)...
here are my full detailed settings in BIOS. The values in () are the alternatives.
Ratio(FSB:AGP:pCI) : 4:2:1 (3:2:1, 5:2:1)
CPU fast CMD decode : Ultra (Normal,Fast)
CAS : 2 (2.5)
Bank Interleave : 4 Bank (Disabled, 2 B)
Precharge to Active(Trp) : 2T (3T)
Active To Precharge(Tras) : 5T (6T)
Active to CMD(Trcd) : 2T (3T)
DRam Access : 2T (3T)
DReam Queue Depth : 4 level (2L,3L)
DRam CMD rate : 1T Command (2T)
actually i could raise the fsb up to 138 stable after changing the ratio to 5:2:1 and the highest voltage that is 2.85
should i change the mem from 166 to 133???

plz help!!

Last edited:
Man, loosen up your timings... You've got everything set as fast as it will go and wonder why you can't overclock it much. Set all of your timings to their maximun values rather than the minimum. Crank the fsb up as far as you can. Then work the timings back down one at a time until you know which ones kill the overclock. Sometimes one particular value makes all the difference in the world. While the Infineon chips probably aren't going to be world beaters at any settings, you've got to give them a more realistic try.

ok i will do that and post my results. You know i just thought that there is no performance gain if i have slow timings and high fsb...

pko/c said:
Try to lower your memory timings or burn-in your memory so you can raise more your fsb.
what do you mean by "burn in" ??

I was testing my system for several hours (4) without much as a result! :(
My best timining was 140@low mem settings and 138 at most aggressive ones!!!

Conan said:

what do you mean by "burn in" ??

I was testing my system for several hours (4) without much as a result! :(
My best timining was 140@low mem settings and 138 at most aggressive ones!!!

By burn-in i mean to "burn" your memory by overclocking it continiously to the limit.Here is a site that can help:Memory burn-in
It is written in greek though.

Look at the sticky named "memory burn in programs".

Download one of them and run it continuiously.

I've used Sandra, memtest, and prime. All work well

ok thx i will try it, i as i read prime should be the best one...

Yeah, it's a pain when you receive an error in prime when every other program passes :) Just when you think you're stable...

and i did receive an error in prime while i was running @138 fsb, i did this last night and then i dropped to 133 and run memtest86 for 7 hours!!

ok i unlocked the cpu (i forgot to see the model, damn!) but the results are rather dissapointing... After countless restarts/benchies, bios settings etc. i made it to 10x170 that is the best i can get :( . The memory can go up to 175-178 but not more and that [email protected] while my processor... My processor won't go above 1.750 Mhz with or without voltage!!!I didn't se any change after running it at max volt, 1.85 or at stock...
the agressive settings in the ram timings don't seem to affect the limit much since with slowest settings i only get +1-2 more fsb, i am now running it at fastest settings besides 1T which made my system unstable...
that's all for now :(

Back