• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just tried Gentoo -> still need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
... and I think it is great :).

I love how you can customise the system, and it is pretty cool how it compiles it all for you. Emerge world went well, I managed to set up LILO ok.

I then installed my nVidia drivers (GeF 4 Ti4200) and managed to get X working, with the standard WM that it comes with.

But KDE and GNOME have given me some problems. Neither will emerge correctly. I cant remember the problem KDE had, but because of Jadetex, GNOME will not work :(.

Any ideas on how to fix this? When I get home I can post the exact error message.

David

probs

Specific errors sure will help. Guessing --> Might be the gcc flags you chose maybe?

If you can't find the answer, don't let a bum emerge stop you. You can always grab the binary and install that.

Make sure you emerge xwindows first. Hard Disk space (df -h to check)? It's does take an AWFULL long time to emerge. Even on my dual 2000MP machine. But yes some more info would be helpfull for us to help you :D

Just for starters, I'd try syncing again and updating world. Then, what compiler flags are you using? Actually, I much prefer IceWM to Gnome or KDE. Try that, just to make sure it works. Won't take too long.

gentoo

Is gentoo a go? Or do you have some error messages for us?

Yeah David, how'd it turn out?

I think I'll just go with binaries for now as it would take a month for gentoo to emerge on my PPro200 box. Maybe down the road when I have another box up and running...

When I build an up-to-date SMP box, I'll give gentoo a go.

Try the Gentoo forums or the Gentoo IRC channel also.

Also, a post of the errors would help diagnose.

Gonna try it again sometime using the Link Kendan posted.

David

Back