• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpongeySponge

Registered
Tried to install redhat 8.0. I did install it actually. But I go to load it in the boot manager and it says something about not enough memory to load or something....help?

I've seen this error before, you're not the only one with this problem. I think its a bug in Red Hat 8, not a hardware issue.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a fix for this.

ok then...any ideas on how to get it to work?
I'm at my home computer now, the exact message is:

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

It has some other stuff too, I dunno if you need it. I'm kinda new to linux so I have no clue what it means. If you want that I'll be glad to post it. It also froze when I tried to install using the GUI....if that has anything to do with it.

Why don't you try installing LILO, and see if you get the same error message. If it works, you can then go back and install Grub later.

Either try LILO, or try a different distro. Several people I know had that exact error, but couldn't seem to get it to go away.

You could also try burning the cds again, but that may or may not work, probably not.

Red Hat 7.3 is decent if you want to try that.

Ok, I'm reinstalling with LILO now.
Hah, what's sad is that I bought the CD's at CompUSA......So yeah, This doesn't work I'll try SuSE or something....

ok, I tried to reinstall with LILO. I didn't get the memory error thing. But instead, it did some stuff then the screen went blank. Just peachy.....

During the install, tell it not to load X Windows by default. This may be called Command Promt Only or something like that. Its also known as runlevel 3 for redhat.

This should give you a text interface (DOS like) rather than a GUI. From the console you'll be able to troubleshoot your problem and figure out whats going wrong and how to fix it.

Ok, I'll give it another try after SuSE is done downloading. Could be interesting since I've never even used linux before, but I know some people that can help me out there.

Back