Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.
Forum Jump

seti question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 11:02 AM Thread Starter   #1
jdmcnudgent

seti question

my girlfriend has a gateway 2.26 system with RDRAM mem. thing that sucks about gateway, is that even though she has a 533 bus cpu, they only put pc800 in the computer. i called and argued with them about putting the right mem in the system, 1066, and they said that is wasnt tested enough, so thats why they put pc800 in the system, and the down fall is that they have the memory running only at 3x. my question is, what do i need to have my cache set at with the seti driver, because she only has dial up and everytime a unit gets done, it goes to idle. i had it set to 30/30. what is the best to set it at?? thanks.
jdmcnudgent is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-07-03, 11:16 AM   #2
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

set it to have enough WU to crunch for to whenever the interval between each upload, plus a couple days over to be on the safe side.

btw, "try" (i know it's most likely not) to see if there's any rdram setting in the BIOS of that gateway. see if you can activate x4 ratio, even tho that might means you'll need new memory....

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-07-03, 12:51 PM   #3
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

My bet is the ram they installed is probably capable of running 1066 - most recent modules can do it. Having said that it's another matter whether or not you can change the setting in the bios. My guess would be no, but it's certainly worth looking.

Old 01-07-03, 04:16 PM Thread Starter   #4
jdmcnudgent

Quote:
Originally posted by TC
My bet is the ram they installed is probably capable of running 1066 - most recent modules can do it. Having said that it's another matter whether or not you can change the setting in the bios. My guess would be no, but it's certainly worth looking.
i looked and tried the very first day she got it. it is some off brand mem, and i swapped out her 2.4b for my 2.26, cause that is what she was supposed to get and they messed up and put the wrong cpu in, was a great one too, did 160fsb on default voltage.

so am i going to idle because i need to get all the wu's downloaded before i get offline?? should i set maximum to 1 and desired to 10??
Old 01-07-03, 04:25 PM   #5
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

w/ the P4, set the max. process to 1 (of course unless it's hyperthreaded), and set the cache to about 4-7days worth of wu. that P4 should be able to do at least 6-7wu/day, = to 30-50wu cached. that way, you could be sure that even w/out upload for about a week, your machine will still have work to do.

btw, you will still be crunching even when your are up/down'loading wu, if you didn't empty out the cache.

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-08-03, 03:17 AM   #6
Demont

10 Year Badge

go jdmc! keep recruiting more computer to the cause, thats the way to do it, really.

Heatware
Demont is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-03, 04:18 PM Thread Starter   #7
jdmcnudgent

so now i got it working nicely, cept the woman likes to keep the computer on stand by while shes not using it, but i have been outsmarting her. so my question is, does seti just dump the units each time she or i gets on line??
Old 01-10-03, 05:25 AM   #8
papounet

If you are using setiddriver, you can chek the setting "auto-transmit".

The real question is about her Internet access: is is always on (cable , ADSL,...) or on-demand (dialup, ISDN).
If is is always on, then auto-transmit, else, NO
papounet is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-03, 09:46 AM Thread Starter   #9
jdmcnudgent

Quote:
Originally posted by papounet
If you are using setiddriver, you can chek the setting "auto-transmit".

The real question is about her Internet access: is is always on (cable , ADSL,...) or on-demand (dialup, ISDN).
If is is always on, then auto-transmit, else, NO
that was my next question, can i do auto transmit with dialup??
Old 01-10-03, 09:59 AM   #10
Burning Phoenix

10 Year Badge

Auto transmit won't work if the computer isn't online when it needs to dump the result. Why not leave auto transmit off tehn let the computer finish however many WU's until next time you are able to access her computer and manually dump the results.

Burning Phoenix is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-03, 10:17 AM Thread Starter   #11
jdmcnudgent

Quote:
Originally posted by Burning Phoenix
Auto transmit won't work if the computer isn't online when it needs to dump the result. Why not leave auto transmit off tehn let the computer finish however many WU's until next time you are able to access her computer and manually dump the results.
that sucks, because it was taking sooooo long today when i was dumping them.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.