• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ADSL and Knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronin1967

Perhaps some of you have already seen my request buried in another thread, for those of you I apologize, but it was suggested I start a new thread so my problem would get better attention.

I am trying to run Knoppix 3.1 it seems to have a problem with my ADSL/PPPOE. I think the issue maybe be with the built-in ADSL/PPPOE configuration utility. I have run the utility and it finishes and seems to be working, however I am unable to connect using any other browsers included in the CD.

I must begin by saying I am a Linux newbie.

One of the reasons I suspect the ADSL/PPPOE utility is I am able to get Mandrake 9 to run on any computer I try and the Knoppix will not. Also I use Earthlink DSL and I notice that I get the same result from the utility whether or not I enter factual information. I don't think the utility ever makes a connection or even tries.

Could someone please guide me in the right direction, perhaps show me commands to run or tests etc...

BUMP***

also let me add:

VIA Rhine NIC(built into my EPOX motherboard)

Earthlink PPPOE DSL Dynamic username/password required
DNS: 207.69.188.187 207.217.120.83

Modem: SpeedStream 5360

No router/switch/hub

The NIC is found as eth0, the configuration utility runs and finishes, but I don't think it works. Is there a way to test or configure manually?

Since knoppix is by default a CD-based distro only, and CDs aren´t writable, it can´t just store its settings anywhere. What you do is, making a floppy with your special config settings like it tells you in the knoppix readme. (at least this was true last time I looked at knoppix last summer)

For checking out your pppoe line, try the folloing command:

/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -A

This should show you your DSL Access COncentrator and exit. if it does, then all you have to do is to make a suitable /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider (for the ppp config), /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (for username+password) and put it either on a floppy or change the knoppix ISO appropriately before burning.

Alex

How do I assign DNS to the PPPOE?

I need to add the DNS to the file /etc/resolv.conf I have no idea how to edit or add info in Linux

the DNS for Earthlink DSL are 207.217.126.81 & 207.217.120.83 & 207.217.77.82

Last edited:
DNS servers go in /etc/resolv.conf

You don't bind a specific dns server to a specific interface, you just define them for the system as a whole.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

This is so stupid, I didn't need to change any DNS or other files. When I run the ADSL/PPPOE configuration utility, on the screen where it promts me for my username the line where I enter it already has the word "unsername" on it. So when I type in my username it adds the word to it and that is why I couldn't connect.

To fix the problem, clear the word "username" from the line prior to typing mine in....

lol.... glad you got it working. Linux is great =) (which reminds me to format and reinstall Debian today...)

enjoy it and i hope you get Debian or Slackware soon =D

klingens said:
Since knoppix is by default a CD-based distro only, and CDs aren´t writable, it can´t just store its settings anywhere. What you do is, making a floppy with your special config settings like it tells you in the knoppix readme. (at least this was true last time I looked at knoppix last summer)

For checking out your pppoe line, try the folloing command:

/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -A

This should show you your DSL Access COncentrator and exit. if it does, then all you have to do is to make a suitable /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider (for the ppp config), /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (for username+password) and put it either on a floppy or change the knoppix ISO appropriately before burning.

Alex

Actually Knoppix does write to a ramdisk file on your memory. When your ram loads up, it just starts to swap out to the HD swap file it will create. I dropped a 350Mb file on the KDE desktop and watched Knoppix just fill up the swap partition with the excess. No lockups or even much of a slowdown. I was playing MP3 shoutcast music with XMMS and I had no skips eventhough I only have ~288Mb of RAM.

As for saving configs to floppy, the persistant home option is better as the configs are saved to the HD instead. (see writeup on Knoppix forum).

Back