• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes, another "What do you think of this system?" thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Hey all, I know this type of thread comes up about 20 times a day.. but, it's all good.. right? RIGHT!? :p Anyhow, i'm just looking for some constructive critisism and not any "if I should/shouldn't buy" debates. All I want to know is what you think of this soon-to-be system and what, if anything, you would change. With that said... here's what I was looking at buying:

Final system listed a few posts down

That's it, in a nut shell. Let me know what you think and what you would change (minus the stuff I already have). Also, COOLING: I don't know what I want to do about cooling. I was thinking either a watercooling kit (since last time I built one, the pump died) or staying with air. I currently have a Volcano 7+ that handles my XP 1600+ quite well, but I don't know how it would do with the higher end AMD's and overclocking.

With that said, I want to thank everyone in advance for posting your thoughts here to help guide me along. :)

Last edited:
GRRRR just registering my jealousy at yet another Chieftec case owner........
If you dont want to splash out on watercooling yet (excuse the pun) or just dont trust the pumps(not that fans never break either :mad: ) the cheiftec case is a dream for cooling just fill the fan holders!

looks good but i would try for a lian-li case maby pc75 hehe i kno its expensive but its a really nice case antec cases are overrated i dont paticularly like mine and requires extensive modding to watercool but the lian li pc75 has much more room for water cooling also consider a western digital special edition harddrive they are really fast and if your gonna go all out on the processor and motherboard why leave the harddrive as the bottleneck... also consider a radeon 9X00 PRO card (either 9700 or 9500 as long as its a PRO) cause they will do really well on a fast processor... id go on but im sure my suggestion have already exceeded your spending limit.... well maby :D

I won't upgrade video cards until well after the GeForce FX comes out, for obvious reasons (where i'll make a choice of R9700 Pro or GF FX). Lian-Li... that's ok, I won't be going with that, i'll stick to the Chieftec case. I'm looking at maybe getting a 80GB 8MB Buffer from either WD or Maxtor (I think Maxtor has them as well, could be wrong). Thanks for the thoughts, Ghost and coin, really appreciate it. All others are welcome too, so, keep 'em coming. I'll be making a purchase by either the end of the week or early next week. :)

I recommend getting a Thermalright SK-7 and a high powered 80mm fan. anything over 40CFM should do the trick. I have a nice YS Tech model that kept my 1900+ under 42C no matter what I do.

I can't remember whether or not the SLK-800 supports 80mm fans...

Final system:

Black Chieftec aluminum case w/acrylic window and "Biohazard" applique
Antec 430w
2 stock 80mm 30CFM? fans in rear, 1 80mm Sunon 50CFM & 1 80mm Sunon 36CFM in front. Both front fans with filters
EPoX 8RDA+
AMD 2700+ 333FSB
Thermalright SLK800 w/Sunon 80mm 50CFM with silver "Biohazard" grill
1GB (2x512MB) Corsair XMS 3200 C2
MSI GeForce4 Ti4600
80GB Western Digital Special Edition (8MB Cache)
60GB Maxtor D740X ATA133
TDK veloCD 32x10x40
Seimens Speedstream 10/100 w/Linksys 4-Port Router
Onboard sound
2 Green 12" cold cathodes & Green Lazer LED's to light front bezel Sample of what they are.

To be purchased at a later date (later this month): Logitech Z-680 .. to replace my fried Z-560's
Misc. stuff already in use: Sun(Sony) 21" Trinitron, Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro and Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Well, there it is. What do you think? Think I can get 2.5GHz maybe? I heard 2.4GHz is relatively easy with the 2700+ 333's. I'll post some benchies when I get it all in, up and running. Thanks ALOT for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it. Have one on me :beer: :)

Last edited:
I second the WD Special Edition hard drives.. I got one and they are blazing fast. You can use your 60 GB for a backup maybe.

As for cooling... I just bought a ThermalRight SK-7 and a SLK-800. The SLK-800 is really nice. It handles pretty much any kind of fan you throw at it including the standard 80mm x 25mm. The clip system is much better than that of the SK-7 and SK-6. I've never liked the clips used in the SK-6 and SK-7 because they fall out easy when you're trying to install the fan (granted its a one-time thing so not a big deal). The SLK-800's clip won't fall off, and you only need one clip to install any type of fan. I was able to get a fan grill in with a little bit of effort. And it of course cools amazingly well. I have only low/medium-power Panaflo 80mm fans in my machine and the temps are still low (for a Duron 1.1GHz though), and its probably the most quiet machine I have, the PSU fan is the loudest.. I haven't tested the SK-7 much, but I'm sure its comparable in performance. Though I think the SLK-800 is worth the $35 I paid.

I love how people come on here with there million dollar systems, with a gig of memory, all these other goodies, trying to make me jealous all the time, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nah, don't be jealous.. You still got money in your pocket :p
Stay a few generations behind on technology, and you can get everything cheap. But you gotta slurge every now and then.

Looks like a nice system. You already have alot of the pieces so not much to flesh out ;) I agree on the Lian-Li case. The pc-75 is super nice.

As for motherboards also consider the a7n8x (asus nforce2 board). Epox has some nice oc features (like higher voltages) but the delux a7n8x is jam packed with features (for instance it hasas 2 nic ports, sata raid,firewire) and also ocs very well. The features, to me, make it more suitable to and all around machine as opposed to pure ocing and gaming.

Thanks everyone for all the input, I value it to it's fullest. The system I ordered is the 2nd system listed, not the one in the first post. :)

[Whisper] You know, you'd probably all hate me if I told you that I got that MSI GeForce4 Ti4600 and a single 512mb stick of Corsair XMS 3200 C2 for $150 shipped. (insert evil laugh here) :p [/Whisper]

Back