• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Man ,would I LOVE to use an optical mouse for gaming...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

But I cannot get one to work right! :mad:

I have Windows 2000 and a Microsoft Wheel Mouse optical, tried different drivers, tried ps2 and USB, tried different pads and no pad, tried all the settings in their mouse software, made sure I removed any old mouse drivers to the best of my knowledge.

Despite all this, the mouse "spins out" on the desktop and in all the games the same when I make any sudden of accelerated movements from side to side.

Any advice that helps me figure this out is worth its weight in gold! :D

Thanks.

Thanks but nope. Still does it. Its like all optical mice just can't handle sudden "turns". Can't keep on "track" and freaks out. :(

Do you use a mousepad or have a desk with a grainy surface? I know that if you have pictures on a mousepad or a desk with a woodgrain surface it will screw up the mouse's tracking.

You just need a different mouse. Some opticals, especially the Microsoft ones, have a very hard time tracking at high speeds- try to pull off a fast railgun shot and you end up spinning around, looking at the sky :mad: The tiny chip in the mouse that runs the sensor just freaks out.

It drove me so crazy, I switched from my MS Intellimouse optical back to my good old ball mouse. The new Logitech opticals are supposed to be designed fast enough to work for twitchy games; I'll probably grab one of those pretty soon.

I switched from my MS optical (which sucked for gaming) to my MX700 and I've never looked back. This think won't skip for me.

Are you using the green adapter that comes with the mouse?
I has this mosue at first and was having issues with it in the standard port. I took off the adater and ran it in the USB connection. Much better results this way.
However, the Explorer 3.0 and up series is a much better mouse and not that much more in price with more features.

I've owned an optical mouse for as long as I've had a PC.

And honestly I've never had any problems with either of the two mice.

First mouse: Microsoft Intellemouse Explorer (first edition)
Current mouse: Logitech MX500

For a mousing surface I use a plain old white peice of paper, taped to my desktop. (so it doesn't move) I used to have some tracking issues with the woodgrain surface on my desk until I started using the paper. Remember that all optical mice trace better on a plain uniform surface. You just can't beat a plain peice of paper for that. Although the paper does tend to pick up the natural oils that are on your skin and it tends to get dirty over time. Solution? New peice of paper :D

Monaco said:
You just need a different mouse. Some opticals, especially the Microsoft ones, have a very hard time tracking at high speeds- try to pull off a fast railgun shot and you end up spinning around, looking at the sky :mad: The tiny chip in the mouse that runs the sensor just freaks out.

It drove me so crazy, I switched from my MS Intellimouse optical back to my good old ball mouse. The new Logitech opticals are supposed to be designed fast enough to work for twitchy games; I'll probably grab one of those pretty soon.

got one of the logitech ones and guess what im doing much much much better in UT 2k3 now that im not looking at sky all the time

My brother had the same problem with an Older MS optical. Hej ust got a different one.

I just bought the Logitech Mx700 and it's the best mouse I've ever used to date :D

I think it can be the optical-eye, it reads to slow.

I have:
Ms ItelliExplorer 3.0 + fUnc sUrface 1030
and I think it's great

Don't buy Logitech 500/700, it's the most uncomfortable mouse I have ever touched...but that's just my opinion.
If youre gone buy a new one, at least try it first :)

just get the mouse which suits your hand, before buying try it out and think will you be comfortable with it for longer period of time, i have microsoft intelli mouse explorer and i have never faced any problems in any of the games i play, apart from one thing that i have small hands and the mouse is just too fricking big :rolleyes:

Don't listen to me or anyone when it comes to buying mouse both logitech and microsoft are good, buy the one which suits your hand and is comfortable to you

I've nevered had that problem with my M$ optical mouse.
Right now I'm using an MX700, and its like the best mouse I've ever used, and I find it very comfortable. I have one complaint-
In No One Lives Forever 2 the mouse wheel won't work in it. I really need it to quickly scroll through weapons. Is there a fix for this?

My only complaint about my M$ Intellimouse Optical is that buttons 4 and 5 aren't picked up in my games.. I have to resort to making them do a keypush in the exe, and then setting that key to the command I want in the game.. and even then sometimes the program forgets that buttons 4 and 5 are there... Its quite annoying to hunt for the "R" and "E" keys for battlefield 1942, so I just stuck them on the mouse.. but when the buttons go out, its back to square one! :mad:

And the strange thing is... they used to work without programming them like this.. *shrug*

Dude, I had Windows ME and an Microsoft Optical, and mine worked fine. I can move it as fast as is possible for me and it doesn't "spin out" as you say. All that I think the problem is: your mouse is busted. Maybe somebody dropped it when it was shipped or something. Just return it and ask for a new one! (By the way, make sure you don't use that cordless crap, it is unneccessary! :D)

Back