• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to know if xms3500 its performing like it should?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadzone

I have my droughts about a 256MB xms3500 stick I bought. I have a palomino XP1700 and im unable to get the FSB stable over 169 on Pime95, I can’t get it to boot on 185 but it’s not stable on Prime95. I have set the volts to the maximum and relaxed the timings but won’t exceed from 170.

Could this be the memory or the CPU.

could be either, need a little more info from you. specifically, what is the cpu multiplier set to? is your cpu unlocked? what mobo are you using? what do you have the vdimm and vcore set to? and what are your temps when running the highest stable setting you can get?

Medicated: The multiplier is set to 10 so its unlocked because the default is 11. I have tried 9.5 and higher FSB but its not stable in Prime95. The vcore is at 1.85 and vmem at 2.8. My mobo is a MSI KT4 Ultra. The temps at this stable are 39 idle, 43 load.

Thanks

try setting the multiplier very low, like 5, and see if it will run stable with a higher FSB and relaxed mem timings. if it still won't run stable, it could very well be the ram and you might then want to contact corsair and RMA it.

deadzone said:
I have my droughts about a 256MB xms3500 stick I bought. I have a palomino XP1700 and im unable to get the FSB stable over 169 on Pime95, I can’t get it to boot on 185 but it’s not stable on Prime95. I have set the volts to the maximum and relaxed the timings but won’t exceed from 170.

Could this be the memory or the CPU.

I have the SAME exact problem with my 512MB stick of XMS3500 with my 1700+ T-Bred on my Epox 8K5A3+. It's incapable of doing 166Mhz stable at CAS2, even on high voltages. On lax timings it can't exceed 170Mhz either.

Ironic? :confused:

deadzone said:
Medicated: The multiplier is set to 10 so its unlocked because the default is 11. I have tried 9.5 and higher FSB but its not stable in Prime95. The vcore is at 1.85 and vmem at 2.8. My mobo is a MSI KT4 Ultra. The temps at this stable are 39 idle, 43 load.

Thanks
Did you actually unlock the CPU? If not then it is locked and you need to unlock it to test the memory. Just cause you can select a multi in bios does not mean that you are running that multi...

nikhsub1 said:

Did you actually unlock the CPU? If not then it is locked and you need to unlock it to test the memory. Just cause you can select a multi in bios does not mean that you are running that multi...

Only T-breds come pre-unlocked, Palominos need to be unlocked by hand- so if you're changing the mults, check the speed with WCPUID to see if they are doing anything.

when you restart after changing stuff in the bios, it will show the cpu speed (fsb x multiplier = total speed) or at least with AWARD bios..i think thats what epox uses

Well i did the test and put an multi of 6 ( Palomino Unlocked 100% ) and jumped the FSB to 195 and boot windows tested Prime95 for 5 minutes without errors the changed to 200 but the HD windows got corrupted so i have to reinstall it again.

So you could say that my problem is the HD ( western Digital 80GB SE ) or the CPU?

deadzone said:
Well i did the test and put an multi of 6 ( Palomino Unlocked 100% ) and jumped the FSB to 195 and boot windows tested Prime95 for 5 minutes without errors the changed to 200 but the HD windows got corrupted so i have to reinstall it again.

So you could say that my problem is the HD ( western Digital 80GB SE ) or the CPU?

well, the HD is probably having issues running so far out of spec, at 200Mhz fsb with a 1/5 divider you are running the HD and any other pci devices at 40Mhz instead of 33. most HD's seem to fail at around 38 or 39Mhz, so, my only suggestion to alleviate that is get a mobo with a pci lock, like one of the nforce2 boards. If you don't want to do that, i would put the fsb at 190 or so with a low multi, and test it for stability(prime95 for 12 hours or so). if its stable, then increase the multi until it becomes unstable.

ok i thought so. I'll trie to get another board, and i will do some more testing on the FSB, and go up a little bit at a time.

Thanks

i would definitely suggest you test more before you spend money on a new mobo. if you can get your current system to run stable with a 190 FSB, you might just wanna stick with that. I doubt you will notice much of a difference between 190 and 200 or so, higher is always better, but it will probably not be worth the money.

Back