• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why am i not any cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

travenwatts

i am just curious as to why i cannot get my case any cooler. i have two fans on my 400w PSU (intake and exhasut), an intake and exhaust on the case itself (50 CFM each), and the volcano 7+ on my XP 2100+. my room temperature is always 70F (what is that in C?)

with all that my case is at 35. and my CPU is 43. is this the coolest i will get with air? these are near idle temps.

That's kind of strange... are you sure the v7 is on right? Maybe you put it on backwards. Did you use thermal goop like as3? I have this crappy generic case with an xp1800 OCed to 1780mhz and my load temps are 41-42c. STOCK cooling!

same with me.....i got a p4 2.53, a black kingwin case, a 480 true blue antec powersupply, 2 exhaust fans, one blow off fan, 2 intake fans (they're pretty strong), stock heat sink, and the cpu runs at 41-43 idle, and about 30 for the temp......anything i can do?....i even got rounded cables, and even cleaned up the power wires a loooot.....oh and the stock heat sink fan is loud....any suggestions on one that is quieter and better?

cut a hole in the side of the case, right above the cpu, and place the quietest fan you can find in the hole (about an 120mm fan).
I did this and it dropped the temps of my tualeron from 44C to 31C using a dragon orb 3 heatsink (with own fan) and after 3 hours of benchmarks and twohours of games.Room temp was around 25C-26C. :D

i agree with foot, a good fan blowing on to the cpu HSF will help lower temps another way to do this is to put a hole in the top of your case to let all of the hot air out of the top, this will also help lower your tems.

cut a hole in the side of the case, right above the cpu, and place the quietest fan you can find in the hole (about an 120mm fan).
That's what i did, (abeit 80mm) and it lowered the cpu load temp by another 6C (stock hsf). One problem with such setup is dust accumulation, which is a pain to clean up if u don't have a filter;)

oh and the stock heat sink fan is loud....any suggestions on one that is quieter and better?
From what i've seen, people are having a good time with AX-478; excellent performance, even with a quiet 80mm:cool:

One of many other possibilities - How clean is the wiring inside the case? power wire & ribbon cable can easily restrict airflow.

I second what Can o' says above. Also, what speed setting do you have on the V7+ control switch?
The outsides are high and Medium while the inside setting is low.
I foudn this out only recently myself as I never really looked at it closely. I just put it on high for about the last 6 months and delt with the noise level. Low at 3200RPM gives OK but still unacceptable temps for me, Medium is a little better at 5200RPM and of course High at 6500 but how long can you handle the level without realizing it is really that loud?? LOL!! :D All this time I was thinking it was my 4 case fans making that much noise. On medium you can't hear any of them.

well, i have round cables and everything is as neat as possible. i have considered the side panel fan. what is a good, quiet 120mm fan? and someone said something about a filter? let me know what to use. a panty hose?

my volcano is on the highest setting and yes it is loud and annoying high pitch, but just turn up them speakers a little higher and you never know its on! :D

BTW i checked my temps again last night and they are a little lower than i thought:

System: 31 (idle)
CPU: 39 (idle)

i thought this was a little high for the case, but i read in the mobo forum that my kx7-333 does not read the system temp accurately because of the placement of the diode.

also i was benchmarking last night and my temps never got over 42 i believe, so maybe that volcano 7 is keeping it from going any higher. BTW i broke 10000 on 3d mark last night. woohoo!! :D

my case may be the culprit. i don't think it allows the airflow it needs. it is smaller than the enlight 7237 so maybe my case just isn't getting the circulation it needs. the rear chassis fan blows out cool air though. here is my case: http://www.insightcomponents.com/ic/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=KEL115BLAC

and someone said something about a filter? let me know what to use. a panty hose?

I used a piece of wire mesh as a dust filter - it's nice and stiff, so i don't need worry about it getting sucked into the fan. It also looks good on an aluminum case:cool: . I found that it allows more airflow than foam, while trapping the dust quite well - details here
http://home.iprimus.com.au/husky_ky/

Others have used panty hose and things like that. You might want to give that a go too, provide you've got a steady supply, and somehow stop it getting sucked into the fan;)

surprisingly, adding this fan to the front of my case dropped my case temps 2-3C. I have one intake at bottom(34cfm) and one exhaust below power supply(34cfm) and power supply only has one fan.

My case temps are around 29~31C

I also switched out my VOlcano 7+ awhile ago. I didn't like the air/noise ratio I was getting. I figured if I was going to listen to it at full setting, I should be getting more than 49cfm :D

casefront.jpg

btw, it's the aluminum fan thats rated at around 37cfm and only 27dba or so. Me Likey

surprisingly, adding this fan to the front of my case dropped my case temps 2-3C.
If you're going full out, you might want to try an exhaust fan on the top of the case (the heat rises thing);)
Out of curiosity, does your front (lower) intake get enough air?

PS - how's the dust?

husky_ky said:

If you're going full out, you might want to try an exhaust fan on the top of the case (the heat rises thing);)
Out of curiosity, does your front (lower) intake get enough air?

PS - how's the dust?

It gets dusty, but that's nothing you can't clean. For the bottom intake, I removed the front plastic and cut out the grill so there's nothing obstructing the air. I also try to put something under the case to prop it up so more air is available to the bottom intake.

And I don't really want to cut into the case too much. Too hard to do w/a dremel :)

Back