• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer GPS...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Does anyone know of ways to put GPS on a laptop or Powermac so that I could have an on screen display of where I am while I'm flying?
Duck

For PC And Another . The second is the best one I could find, with moving maps and all, and the first one talks to you too. It's probably too noisy to use the voice recognition software in an airplane.
The second looks to be a really complete pilot's software package.
The first has aviation chart-packs for regions (1/4's of the US) scanned from government maps for an extra $95.

It's not cheap, but it looks good.

Go googling for GPS laptop, got 217,000 hits....

Last edited:
Duck, is this for your entertainment while trapped in airline hell or are you looking for a budget way to get GPS nav as a private pilot?

The stuff Digger came up with is great if you are in the first group. But if you're a pilot I can't recommend using a laptop while you are flying. Check out Sporty's Pilot Shop (www.sportys.com) for the Garman handheld aviation GPS receivers.

Oh, if you are looking for something to do while you're pounding the peanuts on United, check with the seller that it will work in a cabin. The GPS receivers I've used require an external antenna or need to be mounted on a dash (under the windshield glass) to work.

BHD

http://gpsinformation.net/

Good link with lots of general info and some reviews of gps units, although mostly handheld units.

One of the links that I browsed (www.gpscity.com) has some great looking units for laptops that use either the serial port or a usb port. They'll even tell you what software works with the unit (most of which is Garmins own Mapsource). Basically, the unit works like any other gps. It mearly transmits the data to you laptop/computer and the software on the pc uses the data in a mapping program to display position and any other information.

For a colored GPS in Sporties I am giong to have to pay an arm and a leg. However I could have a 12.1" color one for much less

You'll also have an unsecured laptop able to bounce around the cockpit at the first encounter with turbulence. I don't like anything that big and that heavy being loose anywhere near the pilot or the panel.

The software Diggrr linked to also doesn't have any aviation data aside from the cross streets where the airport is located. As I said, if you want something to play with while you're flying the commercial carriers, a map program on a laptop will be fine if the antenna can receive signals from inside the cabin.

But if you are a pilot, the safety risks of an unsecured computer and absence of navaid information makes a ground-based GPS system a dangerous waste of money instead of a bargain.

BHD

well yea for the one your looking at. However there is a mount for smaller ones and also if you clicked on the second link there is a yolk mount for the handheld's. I wasn't saying I would get a 12.1 inch. Just aht I easily could for the same price. I'm more interested in the hand held kind that can mount to my yok. However for that to work also means taht is has to be able to plug into a computer. And I already have a laptop and would use it from time to time. Would be fun to have up there. Not to play games. Would be easy to read the maps and such. A pilot can still be a pilot with other things going on. Staring out the window isn't always a good thing. Most the flying shoudl be done inside the cockpit. Treating it just like a GPS(another instument) will not cause it to be a problem if you do like your suppose to and scan your instruments coming back to it from time to time to make sure your one course. Not like I'm goign to stare at it. Not like I'm going to be watching a movie on it. Whatever I decide to do won't hurt my abilities as a pilot. It is just for a navigation aid. Not a sole means of navigation nor a distraction from flying the plane. Tuning in VOR recievers and ADF recievers while staring at sectional charts on your lap and drawing on them with a pencil to find out where you are takes up much more time and is much more "dangerous" than glancing at a nice screen and having it all displayed for you. Take the time your eyes would be staring at a map versus staring at a screen to find out where you are and you'll see which is actually more safe. The only real drawback of having a laptop up there would be it not being latched down. Which could easily be taken care of as well if I decided to go that route. The second company link above does have aviation GPS maps. Actually they both do. Just for the first one you have to purchase the CD to get them.

Duck

I'll suggest to you that you take a look at some RAM Mounts for mounting options. The have plenty of accessories to mount anything from laptops, to palm computers for planes. If you really want to get fancy, go for a Tablet PC, software catered more towards pilots, and a gps unit that uses the usb port for communications (like the ones at the site I mentioned before).

Back