• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with installing cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beezle

Registered
I fried my motherboard the last time I tried to install a 1.1Ghz cumine celeron. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I really didn't know what I needed to do other than pop the cpu in since I thought softmenu should do everything for me. I have an Abit BF6 board, which Abit gave me as a replacement for the fried BF6. I am going to try round 2 with a cumine celeron 1 ghz because it's dirt cheap. (in passing is a standard heatsink/fan $13??...the 1 ghz cpu is oem with a 90 day warranty but gets a year warranty if I buy their fan for $13...is the year warranty useless?)

I am using a super slocket 3, the details of which are shown at the following link (pictures of packaging showing details of slocket)

http://www.memoryshippers.com/shop/test3.asp?did=28&pid=922

I noticed last time that Intel's fan and heat sink was enormous and was possibly touching the green bx chip between the slot 1 and the dimm slots. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Is it a problem if the fan/heatsink touches something on the motherboard?

I've done the latest bios update for the BF6.

After I install the cpu and fan, do I need to check the temperatures and voltages in the bios health screen?

What should the temperature be? What should the voltage be for a celeron 1 ghz? Is it the core voltage I am interested in? What else should I know if anything? I thought about paying a pc shop to do this, but I just think that's a waste, particularly since everyone here knows so much :eek:)

Shouldn't be a problem if the heatsink touches unless there is some kind of electrical connection. I would keep them apart.
As far as the chip is concerned make sure your MB supports it and
as I remember when I did one the fsb and core volts had to be set correctly.. some slocket situations are tricky to say the least.

re:

I should also mention that the pc booted perfectly into windows. The 1.1 ghz cpu was recognized automatically by softmenu. After 5 minutes in windows, the pc froze. I shut it off. Turned it back on. Then about 5 minutes later I heard a pop and smelled some smoke. Called abit tech support and they said the board was dead.

No I did not use any arctic silver, but honestly, I don't know what that is. It was a 1.1 ghz cumine retail box so it came with the heatsink and fan. Others on this forum have mentioned how large the intel fan/heatsinks are. I am just concerned about blowing the mobo. Did anyone else have a problem with installing the retail box fan/heatsink in their BF6?

Logger how do you set fsb and core correctly?

The settings on the slocket card, jumpers etc. The most important thing is to make sure the slocket is giving the chip the right vcore.
read the directions if there are any.

re:

That's the problem. There are no directions for the slocket card, other than what is shown at the memoryshippers link. So it is unclear if the voltage is correct? I don't think this slocket controls voltage, but it says it works for celeron/p3 up to 1.1 ghz. Can I just monitor the vcore in the bios? What should it be for a celeron 1 ghz? Can it be changed if the vcore is wrong?

Hmmm,
My Celeron 800 is 1.7 volts stock. I just put it in a BE6II and after you reset the cmos it sets it to a 533mhz er something like that but the important thing was that it set the default vcore to 2.05 which I know it will run at for awhile. I am using the Iwill slocket and I have all the voltage jumpers off so I can use SoftFSB but there are a couple of others that need to be set correctly. ie fcpga and... Good Luck with it.

This link is for the voltage requirments for a celeron 1.1 see if it matches your cpu Celeron 1.1 voltage requirements

Just scroll down the page ;)

Last edited:
re:

I'm not sure I understand why your default core is 2.05. Shouldn't it be 1.7? So softmenu will regulate the voltage if your slocket won't. I can set the clock speed to 100 (I presume it's 100 for a 1 ghz cumine celeron) and the cpu brand to intel on my slocket card.

So I install the cpu. Start the pc up and go into the bios, then into health status. It should have voltages and temperatures listed. Can these values be changed by me? What should the values be?

I have an abit BF6, and am intending to install a 1ghz cpu.

From what I remember the slocket card can tell which vcore to apply depending on which chip is inserted. They are supposed to be pretty universal. BUT don't take my word for it. I'll look around for ya and get back...............

I would install the cpu and set the mb to 133 in softmenu set the multiplier to keep the pci bus close to 33. On the slocket set the fsb to 133 and keep the heatsink away from other stuff by filing or grinding etc. read the book for jumper settings etc. You should be ok..

Back