• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got a P4 2.4B C1, and I'm not happy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

$216(including tax) for a hand picked 2.4B C1 retail box pack date 11/27/02 Malay... I said why not... maybe the newer chips have a better chance of hitting 3GHz... I have bought a few C1's Before and none could do even close to 3GHz..

I can't get stable at 3GHz... The highest voltage I tried was 1.80v in the bios which is actually 1.90v on the P4PE.

I hope "BURING IN" works for me on this chip. it's my only hope to get to 3GHz...

For cooling I'm using a Swiftech MCX4000 with a Delta 80mm 68CFM.

And I have my memory underclocked to rule it out..

Anyone have any idea???

If you are looking for a good chip, try the 2.53GHz chip that newegg sells (retail).....I just got mine in yesterday and it running 3.153 right now at stock voltage and cooling.....I will push for more when my socket kit gets here for my vapochill........

Phrostbyte, I have been away from the overclocking arena for a few months so I am not well atuned to overclocking a 133MHz chip. I am curious about a few things.

I am assuming the internal multiplier for your 2.53 chip is 19X. Does that mean you are running a 166MHz FSB to achieve 3.153 Gig? If so did you let everything clock up proportionally or did you back off on the PCI bus speed and especially the memory speed? Also what mobo and memory are you using?

Thanks for answering these questions as I am again toying with upgrading for a change. I am now running a 2.0 Gig at 2.5 Gig. This is not too bad but I have never been happy with my memory. I have a TH7II so I had to back off the memory to a 3X multiplier. Someone was nice enough to send me 133Mhz DRCGs but I have not yet been in a position to solder them in place. I am thinking of a new mobo but I would like to stay with the RDRAM I already have.

sorry to hear that you were unable to reach 3.0ghz.

have you noticed that most C1 2.4b are having a hard time reaching 3.0ghz???

I'm not saying that you'll never see a C1 reach 3.0+, but most are hitting 2.9ghz.....makes one wonder why peeps are willing to pay more for less mhz.

now take a look at most B0 2.4b's....they almost always hit 3.0ghz

btw...mine is a B0.

mica

1.90v actual voltage is awfully high. Unless you have money to burn, I would stay away from putting that much juice through a PIV. You might want to see if your power supply is up to snuff. If you happen to see a big disparity in your 12.00v and 5.00v rails during load and idle, you may want to look into a beefier PSU. My 2.4 was having trouble staying at 2.88 GHz with a crappy power supply, but as soon as a slapped in a better one, I was able to POST at almost 3.1 GHz.

now take a look at most B0 2.4b's....they almost always hit 3.0ghz

Man, when I got my 2.4B (B0) I was in a panic. I was ready to RMA that sucker back to whence it came. I had heard so many postitive things about C1's. But last night I was playing around, got my 2.4B@3ghz vcore 1.6 NO PROBLEMS! So hearing Overclocker456's sad story made me all happy inside, knowing I kept my baby.

If you look at my system specs you'll see I have a very good power supply, and my rails are VERY GOOD... so it's not that.. I used to have a no name power supply that I changed like 8 months ago.. it didn't make much of a difference then with my 2.26GHz CPU..

I got my c1 2.4b to 2.81 ghz at 1.55v, and i also tried everything i could while keeping my swifty 4000b cooling solution to get it to 3.0 stable, but it just wont. the highest im willing to overvolt is 1.65 bios which is 1.75 real on my p4pe. my system posts and goes into windows at 3.0, but fails prime 95 imediatly.

you probably wont get it to 3.0 stable, but you can still try.

I have my CPU at 1.6 vcore, about 1.64 vcore idle in actuality, a bit affraid to go above that from looking at the SNDS posts. I'm also using stock cooling but just for ****s and giggles I took my computer apart and pointed my huge fan in my room to see if heat was problem. :)

By the way, you might notice your CPU being faster after its burned in for awhile. I couldn't post higher then 2.8 for the first week I had my CPU and two days ago it would get no higher then 2.9 but now I have it at 2.97 and its rock stable in prime. I haven't changed anything either, vcore, fans, ect. So good luck on yours

Op Ivy said:
By the way, you might notice your CPU being faster after its burned in for awhile. I couldn't post higher then 2.8 for the first week I had my CPU and two days ago it would get no higher then 2.9 but now I have it at 2.97 and its rock stable in prime. I haven't changed anything either, vcore, fans, ect. So good luck on yours

I too am noticing that the C1's are doing better over time.

maybe not all, but some.....I wonder about the B0's???

mica

My C1, SL6DV booted 3006Mhz out of the box. But wasnt stable. It was stable at a mere 2,7Ghz @ 1,525V (1,45V Real) Upping the voltage to the highest(1,725) gives me only stable speeds below 2,970Mhz. I have done a V-mod on my CPU, but i wont try higher then 1,75V because of the s.n.d.s.

btw, i am also not happy :(

RotatingFan said:
My C1, SL6DV booted 3006Mhz out of the box. But wasnt stable. It was stable at a mere 2,7Ghz @ 1,525V (1,45V Real) Upping the voltage to the highest(1,725) gives me only stable speeds below 2,970Mhz. I have done a V-mod on my CPU, but i wont try higher then 1,75V because of the s.n.d.s.

btw, i am also not happy :(

That's not a very good overclock indeed. May I ask where you got your 2.4B C1 chip?

Overclocker456 said:
$216(including tax) for a hand picked 2.4B C1 retail box pack date 11/27/02 Malay... I said why not... maybe the newer chips have a better chance of hitting 3GHz... I have bought a few C1's Before and none could do even close to 3GHz..

here you can find some pictures from the bottom of different c1 cpus. see wich one you have..

Re: Re: I just got a P4 2.4B C1, and I'm not happy

FC said:

here you can find some pictures from the bottom of different c1 cpus. see wich one you have..

Mine is the the P4 3.06.. So the capacitors don't make a difference... if I did my chip would do alteast a 2.9GHz...

stroligo said:

Try cooling the MCH (that's the big Intel chip with the heatsink on it near the CPU).

I put AS3 on that stock heatsink and I put a little fan on it too..

stroligo said:

Try cooling the MCH (that's the big Intel chip with the heatsink on it near the CPU).

stroligo,

jfyi....I have very little air flow with my 120mm panaflow, and two rear case fans at lowest speeds.

no fan on my northbridge chip, and yet my MB temps are only 33c.
(I'm running prime95 right now for the past hour)

btw, my room temps are always high in the winter.
right now, ambiant temp is around 72f-74f

are you seeing high mobo temps with your new albitron?

mica

Back