• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VAXP Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mfjonny

Hello, i'm a brand spankin' newbie and I just built my very first computer (after having bought dells and microns previously). My last computer was a Pentium I 200 MMX - and as such I have some very BASIC questions:

- I learned from this forum that I had to set my FSB to 133mhz in order for XP to detect my chip correctly (AMD 2100+ XP). What happens if I set it to 166? Is that the first step towards overclocking?

- I don't want to overclock (yet), but is there anything else i need to setup in BIOS or on the board itself to run my chip and memory correctly? i.e. do I need to manually set my memory speed (its on AUTO right now)?

- I bought generic 512 mg PC3200 DDR400 from Fry's because I didn't know better: Should I return it and buy brand name?

- How can I tell which sides of the front panel LED/Power connectors are ground or +? i'm assuming black wires are ground, but the power cable has green and white.

- I plugged the extra LED from my Antec case into the MPD (Message LED/Power/Sleep LED) conncetor and it just stays lit at all times. What is this LED for? Is there anyway I can use this LED to monitor LAN/Modem activity?

Sorry for the long post - thnx for the help!

- I learned from this forum that I had to set my FSB to 133mhz in order for XP to detect my chip correctly (AMD 2100+ XP). What happens if I set it to 166? Is that the first step towards overclocking?

- I don't want to overclock (yet), but is there anything else i need to setup in BIOS or on the board itself to run my chip and memory correctly? i.e. do I need to manually set my memory speed (its on AUTO right now)?

- I bought generic 512 mg PC3200 DDR400 from Fry's because I didn't know better: Should I return it and buy brand name?

- How can I tell which sides of the front panel LED/Power connectors are ground or +? i'm assuming black wires are ground, but the power cable has green and white.

- I plugged the extra LED from my Antec case into the MPD (Message LED/Power/Sleep LED) conncetor and it just stays lit at all times. What is this LED for? Is there anyway I can use this LED to monitor LAN/Modem activity?

- Well...that's one way of overclocking. Whether the chip will do 166FSB at your current multiplier remains to be seen. If it doesn't then you need to drop your multiplier (dip switches on the mobo) and raise the FSB

- You can leave the memory speed at default timings or 'optimal'.

- Well seeing as you'll never get that board to 200FSB I'd say you're good with the RAM.

- I don't think so...but am not really sure.

Hope that helps some.

Back