• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new cruncher, need a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augustwest

im trying to get this old NEC k6-2 3d now! 450mhz box up and running to use as a seti box. when i turn the power on i get no video signal. i dont think its the proc, but what else would cause this? it has been sittting for a long time, would the cmos battery being dead cause this?

A dead cmos battery usually won't prevent a system from posting - it just won't retain settings. It can't hurt to check it though. I'd start by reseating everything and blowing off any excess dust with compressed air. Make sure your psu isn't dead too.

Yeah it's probably okay if you can tell everything else is powering up. Does it give you any beep codes at all? Again I'd start by dusting it off if it needs it and then reseating all components. Things can loosen up with time and thermal cycles, not to mention a little corrosion or a loose contact.

Try just booting up with the CPU, Motherboard, PSU, and heatsink w/ the fan attached to a power source.

I hate the no beeps... it creates suspense.. :(

Does that thing have a cmos jumper that you can clear? I certainly hope it isn't your motherboard. For me, that is the most irritating piece of hardware to replace.

well its an old socket 7 that came in an NEC box. the cool part is that its totally overclockable. got jumbers for the mult and vcore. hope i dont have to replace the ol boy!

make sure all your cards are seated properly then if still no boot just try booting with minimal components: mobo, cpu, vid card, memory, HDD

can we just stop posting to this thread period. JUST HAVE A MOD DELETE IT. PLEASE. I WOULD BE ABLE TO SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT IF IT WAS GONE. does posting one liners saying to stop posting one liners even after the person who is getting bitched at stops doing make any sense. i dont think. im not trying to be a **** but like i said i just want it GONE FOREVER. sorry for the inconvenience and the lost bandwidth. JUST DONT POST ANYMORE! tell a mod to delete it. i would if i could. is everyone happy? im taking complaints right now. just no one liners please. if your gonna complain about me then the really give me hell and fill up the whole damn page. really guys im sorry but i just dont think it makes sense.

Back