• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huge newb wiring information request

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewBldr

Well, I'm in the process of building my first system (listed in my sig) and have a virtual bees nest of wires coming from the PSU. So, I connected both the ATX Power Connector and the ATX 12v1. And I connected the front panel stuff (speaker, hdd led, etc). My motherboard manual helped with these.

Where do the rest of the wires go? I have connectors labeled P2 (weird looking connector - 6 pin), P3, P4, P5, P6 and P7 in chain, P8 with PA in chain (another weird looking connector - 4 pin).

...and what connects in EZ PLUG1?

I'm thinking the 4 pin (molex?) connectors go to power my drives (CDRW, DVD, and HDD). If so, what about the odd looking connnectors? And, what am I going to hook my case fans to (4 of them).

I tried to search for a diagram online, but to no avail. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thx!

The p2 connector is for server cases(i think) but you dont need it. The p3-p7 are molex connectors which plug into the disk drives and hd. I am unsure about the p8 and pa. and i assume the weird 4 pin connector is in a square arrangement, if so then it is for p4 systems and some mulit proc systems. There should be a place on the mobo to connect this plug.

Anybody feel free to correct anything I said that is wrong.

I suspect the weird 4 pin connector is for a floppy drive. You're correct that the 4 pin connectors are for drives. Also they can be used for fans. You may need to get 3 to 4 pin adapters if there's not enough places on your motherboard for the 3 pins to go. Check your motherboard manual for 3 pin connectors. It will have at least 1 or 2. Also if they are high rpm 80mm or larger fans you should probably connect straight to the molex connectors.

OK, the weird 4 pin was for the floppy I'd say. I connected it to the floppy and the 4 pin molex that it was chained with to the HDD.

P6 and P7 in a chain are now powering the CDRW and the DVD players.

Then, I connected 2 fans to P3 and 2 fans to P4 via chain that came with fan.

This leaves 1 molex free and P2 (weird 6 pin). Is this about right?

And then, what's the critical chain for system power to come on?

NewBldr said:

And then, what's the critical chain for system power to come on?

Are you refering to what powers the on/off button on the case?

If so the power button on the case is a moment switch connected to the mobo in the same area as the speaker, hdd and leds as well as the reset button. Make sure it is connected correctly. Your manual will help there. When you hit the button a signal is sent through the mobo to the PSU turning it on.

the 6-pin connector is half of an AT power connection, yet is used for something else.. I forget which, but I know that thats what its used for. Theres a thread called "am I missing something?" or something like that in the same board.. look for it. It should be on this page or the second page.

Thanks all. Got it running just enough for very basic check... 2 lower front fans didn't work, other 2 did, lights up front worked.

Have to wait for boot to BIOS til I install my video card and connect my monitor :D

Back