• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden Shutdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoPokes

Registered
Warning: I am a "noob".

My computer is suddenly shutting down for no apparent reason. It started when i tried to move my cd to a higher slot but to do so i had to switch it to the secondary ide on a new cable. When i did this the computer wouldnt even start. I checked all the connections and i couldnt find anything wrong(yes i remembered to change the jumper to master) so i figured that i had a bad cable so i put everything back to the way i had it before and tried to startup. It wouldnt startup so again i checked all the power connections and tried again and for some reason it worked that time even though i didnt change anything. Now the computer is suddenly just losing power for no apparent reason i cant figure it out.

It sounds like a lose wire to me but i cant find anything. Any one know what else could be causing this?

Nevermind

I figured it out. The stupid main power plug was loose.

DOH!! I have so done this before. I was getting very very mad. Turns out the wall outlet was old and didn't hold the plug in tight enough. It kept slipping out just enough to kill the power but still look plugged in!

Glad you found it out!

Back