• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well ain't this a .......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

:mad: GRRRRRRRRR!!!! Ok, bear with me, I come home today, fire up my server and go to make some coffee. Well, about 10 min later I come back into my computer room to find that it hasn't POSTED. I hit reset and nothing. So, I reset the CMOS, again, nothing. One by one I take out all of the cards in there thinking that one of them is causing a prob, again, nothing. Now, when I say nothing, I mean NOTHING, no beeps, only 1 CD-ROM "blinks", the HDD stays quiet, floppy does nothing, keyboard lights blink once and thats it. I even went as far as to take the proc out of the machine to see if I could just get a beep, it didn't. I have removed everything now, except I put the proc back in in hopes of getting a ram or video card beep. Ok, now the question, do you think its the proc, mobo, or PSU? As a side note, this system was at default. Here are the specs:

Abit KT7A
Duron 750
2 NICs
Soundblaster 16
ATI Radeon
2 CD-ROM's
HDD
Zip drive
300W PSU

I have another comp to test the cpu in, but the HSF in it is an Alpha PAL-8045, you kow how they are to get out, so I will have to wait a couple of days to swap out procs with a friend.
TIA everyone.

Fiz

I'm going to say it's the PSU, but I'm no expert. I had a problem like that with my older system (P3 700). It wouldn't post at all more than just my main hard drive hooked up. Try unhooking everything except the drive with your OS on it and see if it'll start up. If it does, then it's got to be your PSU not supplying enough juice. Hope this helps.

I hate to say it, but if its not the PSU, it could very well be the mobo, especially if there are no beeps. Check the capacitors on your board, the ones on my KT7 look like they are about to burst.

-Rav

Rav said:
I hate to say it, but if its not the PSU, it could very well be the mobo, especially if there are no beeps. Check the capacitors on your board, the ones on my KT7 look like they are about to burst.

-Rav

My sentiments exactly.

I gave the caps a look, they are all ok. This is very all of the sudden as well. There were no signs of instability or anything before this. Could the caps have gone but still look ok? I thought they leaked stuff when they went bad. Thanks.

Fiz

Ok, good news. As I was fiddling around with this and that, I noticed that onlt certain drives were "spinning" up. I whipped out an old 250W PSU and slapped it in there...... BBBAAAMMM!!!! It's all good!!!! well, now back to formatting it, apparently when the other PSU went, it took some data with it. Thanks all...

Fiz

Back