• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

glowing mouse pad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x-kid

I bought a mouse lighted mouse pad from koolpcmods. It runs off the power supply using a molex. I was wondering if there was any way to cut it off and wire it to a usb and run it off the usb. I've seen alot of those usb lights and was wondering if i could do the same thing. If so how could i do this.

thanks
kevin

Pretty sure you can just splice into a USB cable and attach it like that. USB cable has 2 data wires, a ground wire, and a 5 volt wire. I'm assuming that you're mousepad runs off the 5 volt and not the 12 volt.

dang it, i was looking at it and yea it's running off the 12v because it's using the yellow line. o well. can anybody think of anything i can do becaue it doesn't look so good running one of mine lines out of my case.

kevin

How much current does it take? You might be able to build a small batterybox for it. Radioshack has small car remote batteries that are 12v... Then you could have it on a switch and only have it on when you want it on.. :)

just get a transformer from ur local electronic store (120 or 220 -==> 12 V) It should do just fine plug it into the mains and boom u got it. you could also instal a simple switch or a relay to make it turn on when you turn on ur pc. Just an idea im no electritian but i guess its very easily possible :D hehe

Vulpes, could you give me more info on how to do this. i have no idea which pin to use.

thanks
kevin

quick question. What is the black surface on that pad. I made my own mouse pad very smilar to that one, but i havent been able to figure out a good surface to make it work with an optical mouse.

WyrmMaster, there surface wasn't very good. i looks like the neoprene. kinda like the bottom part of the mouse pad. so the whole thing is like that and it doesn't work real well because the mouse sticks it it too much. i just got a piece of mat board and cut it to the same shape. works great for me.

kevin

it works pretty good for me..it skips every once in a while but so did my everglide. Yea i've also managed to get it to run through the USB. It's working great now. Meatbag, you go to U of H. I used to go there. But i transferred to A & M.

kevin

I wanna make me one of these. Except that since the 3d film isn't available here in the states, I think I'll buy one of those 3M Optical precise mousing surfaces and use it (with the plexi and glass cut to fit).

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/75/2

thats very nice. I need to think of a design though... Hmm, me things of a nice O/C overclockers logo (to match my bootlogo, desktop pattern, and case badge of course.)

Im not sure if the glass is entirely necessary though, same with the extra layer. Just a single sheet of plexi with a couple LED's in one end produces a pretty nice effect.

this what i made to get it to run through a usb port

Picture 047.jpg

here is what the mouse pad looks like

Picture 044.jpg

It's been working great

kevin

How does the surface that the pad came with feel?Are you still at A&M i go up there about every other weekend.

Back