• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp range for T-bredA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGame240

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the cooling section, but I figure the people visiting here will have a much better idea of what the temperature range should be for an [email protected].

I just installed the new MBM so I decided I could actually try to stress the CPU and see what kind of temps I'm really getting. So I started CPU burn and watch the temp rocket from 41 to 57. This seems like a huge jump in temps from idle to load. Is this normal? What would be the cause? I've always thought that improper HS would cause high temps period. Maybe too much AS3? Any ideas would be of great help.

Oh, system temps are 32 idle 35 load. Cooling is SK-7 with Thermaltak Smartfan 2. And temps are from the on-die diode.

You may also want to mention what motherboard you have, so that if anyone has the same board they can let you know how their's compares.

I have the same heatsink and fan, but my motherboard does not use the on-die diode. The jump from 41 to 57 does sound like a lot (mine only goes up 3-4C), but I'm not sure since you are using the on-die diode.

You might try re-applying the AS3 and make sure that you put a "very" thin layer. It took me 2 attempts to get it right myself. Also, I assume that you lapped the heatsink.

Yes, please add your full system specs to your sig....we need to know to make a better judgement about your cooling issue.

Is your case closed? A well ventilated case is crucial to cooling. If not, try removing the case cover and blowing a fan onto the mobo/heatsink....if the temps don't "skyrocket" then you need to add more case fans or get a roomier case.

The motherboard is an A7N8X. I'm just now really getting an idea of the temps, since this is the first software to support the on-die diode. I did notice that at idle the insocket and on-die readings are pretty close together (42/40) but as the temp rises the gap between the two widens (57/49).

This may be common with on die readings, I just want to make sure of exactly what I should be expecting since I'm considering painting the L11 bridges to get a little more Vcore (stuck at 1.75 now). The last cpu I had was a T-bird 1.0 and a Shuttle AK31 in the same case with same fans it read around 37 idle and 42 load. So I don't really think the case temps are high enough to be causing too much of a strain on the CPU cooling.

How thin should the AS be exactly. I've alway put it on thin enough so that you could still read the letters on the core, but thick enough so it kind of discolors the core. If that makes any sense.

I'm thinking about doing the bridge work tomorrow, so I'll have to reapply the AS then anyway. I was just wondering what I should be expecting between idle and load so I know if something is wrong.

Thanks for the replies so far, if anyone else has any ideas I'm open to them.

As far as the AS, just spread a thin coating on the die. The small amount of extra material will simply be compressed out of the sides of the die when the heatsink is applied. I've noticed a lot of people put way too freakin much thermal compound on and end up with the entire top of their processor just inundated in the stuff!

Sounds like you need to watercool....

Water cooling was on the "to do" list, but I ended up getting new MB, ram, hd, burner, so I was pretty tapped out and went with midrange air instead. I'm hoping by the time I save money for it again Promethia(sp?) kits will be cheaper, or at least the high end water cooling kits will be.

Back to the original question, should I be seeing a 15 degree jump between idle and full load? I never get that high in anything other than Prime (about and hour) or CPU burn (10 min). I see a lot of people post temps that are like 40 idle 45 load or something like that. I'm just wondering which is more realistic.

Plain and simply, no.

A 17 degree shift is a bit extreme. My system doesn't have on-die temp reading, so I can't speak from experience but it sounds like you need a cooler cooler.....harhar. Do you have the fan on the SK7 at max speed? The SK7 is a badass sink....should almost be overkill at 1800!

Back