• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know how to turn on fans without turning on the mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure why you would want to do this, but short of rewiring the whole the case including your PSU, you could just unplug the main ATX plug from the motherboard then using a piece of wire(bent into a "U"), insert into the plug as shown here:
plug.gif

***That of course assumes none of your case fans run off the motherboard and they are all plugged into the PSU directly***

any wire will work, I recommend leaving the insulation on as shown in the picture and maybe holding it with a nice pair of insulated pliers, other wise you are fine...

***edit***

basically all you are doing is jumping the PSU(the wire simulated the power switch), so any device connected to the PSU will recieve power

Last edited:
Also, it is easy to find pin 14, its the one with the green wire! Then the other end of the wire goes into any one with a black wire (ground).

Hope i don't blow anything
pliers i got
wires i dont
have to search.
How do i hole them into that same spot so i dunt have to hold them there?
Pin 1 is a square head on the corner. issit standard?

EDIT

How do i hold the 2 wires into the same spot without using my hands?

you don't need anything fancy, you can use any scrap of wire, you should be fine, just push it in and it usually stays, you will hear the PSU spin up first then everything else...

Touching the paperclip is fine - it's only 5v afterall. What I was trying to get across was that you mustn't let the paperclip come into contact with the case - it'll short the powersupply if you do!

That happened to me a few days ago but all that happened was a crash and I had to reboot.I was lucky that time.

Unplug the fan from the headers or PSU and plug it into a 9V battery in series with 2 1.4V (AA, AAA, or C) batteries. This will give you +12VDC on the fan and won't risk any tinkering with your computer.

Also, another technique is that you can boot up your computer and go into standby mode. The computer will shut down, but the leads from the PSU will still be electrically active. Test away! :) -- Paul

this is your best bet, and the easiest solution:
Also, another technique is that you can boot up your computer and go into standby mode. The computer will shut down, but the leads from the PSU will still be electrically active. Test away! -- Paul

I.M.O.G. said:
this is your best bet, and the easiest solution:
quote:
Also, another technique is that you can boot up your computer and go into standby mode. The computer will shut down, but the leads from the PSU will still be electrically active. Test away! -- Paul

Another thing you can do is to boot off of a floppy into DOS, and then connect the fan.

Back