• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange temps with v9 .. help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

Ok.. here's the deal.. I recently purchased a TT Volcano9 cooler.. as I wanted a budget cooler that still would have decent performance..

Now, the problwm is that it's basically not any cooler (compared to the stock cooler) with the V9..

I'm getting temps ranging from 44-50 C (depending on idle-load) and that seems to be very high temps for a Tbred .. any ideas?

I've tried reseating the heatsink and I have applied a thin layer of AS3.. only thing I could think of now is to lap the heatsink and see what kind of results I get.. but I'm not too excited about sandpapering my heatsink.. plus if I do that I have to cash out for the sandpaper.. ;)

What I'm saying is with other words.. my temps have only dropped like 1-2 C compared to the stock cooler.. and I would think that the V9 is better than that?

I would think lapping would help, depending on the condition of the base. If you can run your fingers over it and feel the ridges,then you should lap the heatsink.

btw, sandpaper is only a couple of bucks :)

Yeah I know.. hehe.. guess if I can't come up with any other reason I'll go and buy some sandpaper and get mad.. :)

anyways.. what kind of confused me is the fact that

a) it should be a better heatsink .. more fins and a copper base
b) it has a high speed/high cfm fan

and still it's not really that much cooler.. and that surprised me..

Check out this thread. There's a mod for the volcano 9 that might help improve your temps. Have a read.

By the way, i got a sheet of 600grit 3M wet & dry for $0.45AUD :D

Another thing that I think is rather strange is that if I boot into windows in only a couple of minutes the temp goes up like 5-6 C although the CPU should be idling?

Do your case temps also rise during this time? If so, it is due to the higher overal case temp that is caused by the acitivity in your hdd and video card etc.

should perhaps mention that I haven't updated my sig.. so the CPU is running @ 1.95 GHz and at 1.85 V.. would want to reach 10x200 tho.. only at 10x195 now.. :)

Back