• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clutch for racing games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wahoogie

Something is missing from racing games. Porsche Unleashed - Great game, but what's missing? Wouldn't it be great to have a clutch with that $80 steering wheel you just bought? I haven't bought one because of it. Would it be really that hard to make one? No... not really... It would just require an analog piece of hardware and a bit more programming.... why doesn't something like this exist? Or.... does it and I'm missing something? Oh, and I'm looking for a REALISTIC clutch.... not the "Arcade" clutch where it doesn't matter if you press it or not....:mad:

YEah i was playing Cruisin future or whatever at the arcade last night and i was in the rocket car and i wanted to shift by using the clutch but it does nothing. I found that in jumps you can hold the clutch and press the accellerator all the way and that tends to help when you land, you get a little burst because the wheels are spinning fast...

Too bad its not like in real life. I have yet to find a really realistic driving game.

That's exactly what makes me mad. At least with the steering wheel it simulates.. well, steering! But the clutch in those games does NOTHING!!! Someone needs to make a real realistic game.... I don't care if the graphics are any better, that doesn't make the realism! I want to cruise the world at 170mph and not care!

combo #3 will be mine one day. oh yes, it WILL be mine :D

i've been eyeballing that hardware for about a year now, every time i think about saving up for it something else comes up. a new processor, videocard, motherboard.... there's always something that i see for about $50 and can't pass it up.

john240sx said:
combo #3 will be mine one day. oh yes, it WILL be mine :D

i've been eyeballing that hardware for about a year now, every time i think about saving up for it something else comes up. a new processor, videocard, motherboard.... there's always something that i see for about $50 and can't pass it up.
I have that whole set up ..I bought it, used it twice and decided to pack it away till I have room for it..I have the performance pedals and the RS shifter with USB support..If your really interested pm me ..I was thinking of putting it in the classifieds but I'll give ya first dibs.

Last edited:
race drivin and hard drivin from atari i think they were called, arcade games, you could shift without the clutch(but i can do that in a real car or my rig so...) but it wouldnt start unless you had the clutch in and you could stall it. baaaaaaad grafix though

Well of course you can always powershift but you don't normally do it :) Thanks for the link Cowboy X

Edit: Also, how heavy is the clutch in the #3 combo?

Act Labs has their own forums . The clutch and pedals are heavy enough for most ppl but many guys there mod thiers with different springs and stuff . The most common mod is to get a squash ball , cut it in half and put it underneath the pedal . The guys say it gives a more realistic feel .

ACT Labs, the company, is only a few blocks away from my home. The clutch is about us$60. I don't think many games support it though, I only know Grand Prix Legend which does.

There is another problem with simulating the clutch in a computer game. This is one area where you absolutely need good force feedback and no one has tried even bad force feedback yet.

I've played GPL a few times with a clutch setup. Because there is no tactile feel for how the clutch is taking up its pretty worthless. Its actually less realistic than the paddle shifters.

BHD

The best game with an actual clutch and stick is probably the arcade version of ferarri 355 challege. But i have to agree alot of games would be much funner with a real clutch and stick. :)

A clutch is only good if its a force feedback clutch....
You need to be able to feel when the clutch engages to use the clutch to its full abilities. Otherwise, 50% of the time, you would just be dumping the clutch which is pretty much like having a button/key as a clutch instead of a pedal.

An accelerator and brake pedal is plenty for racing games. It enables you to do heel toe and various other techniques when rallying etc. IMO a clutch won't add too much to the experience except for having a pedal there when shifting.

But when they do develop a force feedback clutch, count me in.

As has been said, a clutch is only going to be useful if you get realistic feedback from it. The problem is that they can't even make halfways decent feeling brake pedals or steering wheels, let alone a clutch pedal.

I'll stick with my joystick, thank you very much. :)

Back