• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System failed mem test. No... Sys failed CPU test ASUS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

Ok I'm really bummed. This is my first rig. :temper:

My system was gathering dust so I decided to to open it up and tidy up a bit. So I took out the memory and vid card. Made sure there wasn't any dust.

Well I put everything back and fire up and then get the reporter that says "Sysem failed memory test". I was like not again. This happened before and after fidgitting around with the parts, I don't know which one, I got it to go away. Some have speculated this board has grounding issues. I don't know. Well this time I can't get the error to go away. My vid card doesn't work either.

So then I decided to go to my friends and try some different memory in my rig. Tried 4 different kinds and nada. Same error. Tried all dif slots. Nu uh. Then tried a dif vid card and that didn't help.

So then I took out the CPU and put it in a perfectly stable rig and it did not boot. Got 6 beeps I think. I have come to the conclusion my 2100 is dead and the Asus A7V333 caused it. I did a search and this type of thing has happened to several others. Just sucks I'm one of them.

Now I'm looking to get a Nforce2 board and a 1700 Tbred "B" hopefully. :)

The Asus is notorious for it being difficult to properly seat the RAM - but I guess that if you have tried four different types then this is unlikely to be the prob. I cannot see how you could fry the cpu just by taking out and replacing the vid card and RAM unless you were not properly grounded yourself.
One other thing to diagnose the 6 beeps it is necessary to know what mobo manufacturer it was

Well I think the fact this problem occurred after you had removed the RAM and Vidcard should be a huge red flag - especially as as I have said this board is notorious for being picky about RAM (though Samsung is OK normally) and being difficult to seat. One other thing try removing the jumpers marked JP1 and JP2 on the board or at least try adjusting the RAM voltage through these jumpers.

Last edited:
The logic behind what I said is shown below (taken from AMDMB.COM forum)

ASUS A7V333: VIA KT333 chipset (VIA website)

We have qualified the ASUS A7V333 as a representative board of the VIA KT333 chipset-based mainboards. Since the board supports DDR 333 (PC2700) we recommend using high end memory only, that is, either PC2700 or Level2 (222) PC2100.
USER TIPS: The default memory voltage of jthe A7V333 is out of spec which causes DDR DIMMs to run hot and eventually fail. The voltage can be adjusted by moving the undocumented jumpers JP1 and JP2 to close 1-2 or else remove both jumpers completely. We found the following voltages when measuring directly at the DIMM slots:

ii 2.59 - 2.63V (same with one or both jumpers removed completely)
i! 2.78 - 2.83V (default setting, out of spec according to JEDEC guidelines
!i 2.88 - 2.94V
!! 2.95 - 3.06V

The latter two settings are almost guaranteed to destroy the memory modules. We found that by reducing the voltage from default to the lowest setting, we were able to achieve approximately 3% system performance increase (not in SiSoft Memory benchmark, though but in real applications)

We found that running the memory bus asynchronous at 166 MHz with the FSB does not overall increase system performance because of the higher latencies and the buffers required for synchronization of memory and FSB.

It might sound stupid but did u clear the CMOS on both ur machine, and on the machine of your friend?

KfistoRok the chip is el gonno.how do i know? i suspect it died the same way my 2700 just died, and when this happened the mobo flaked out and wouldnt even post with new psu,cpu,ram,video card, i replaced everything as i have 2 rigs socketA.

this is the 3rd time its flaked out and refused to work.but took a chip with it this time.ive also found out it has grounding issues and psu issues.but only with this mobo.

when its working its the best ocing mobo ive ever had.when it flakes out i could chuck it out on the road in front of my house.

the errors it gave me was "failed cpu test"even on a working 1ghz tibird.im down right fed up with it myself also.mines getting the heave ho and being sold soon i hope and replaced with a nforce2.

btw i run my samsung ram @3.06 vdimm and have no problems but others say they have it burn up.

The Coolest said:
It might sound stupid but did u clear the CMOS on both ur machine, and on the machine of your friend?

I did clear the CMOS in my rig, but not in my friends. He turned around after mine did not work and put a 2600 in it. Worked fine.

deathstar13 said:
KfistoRok the chip is el gonno.how do i know? i suspect it died the same way my 2700 just died, and when this happened the mobo flaked out and wouldnt even post with new psu,cpu,ram,video card, i replaced everything as i have 2 rigs socketA.

this is the 3rd time its flaked out and refused to work.but took a chip with it this time.ive also found out it has grounding issues and psu issues.but only with this mobo.

when its working its the best ocing mobo ive ever had.when it flakes out i could chuck it out on the road in front of my house.

the errors it gave me was "failed cpu test"even on a working 1ghz tibird.im down right fed up with it myself also.mines getting the heave ho and being sold soon i hope and replaced with a nforce2.

btw i run my samsung ram @3.06 vdimm and have no problems but others say they have it burn up.

Yes I got the "System failed CPU" test when I first got my mb, but worked my way around it somehow and got it to go away. I just got my RMA number from Asus and when I get one back I'll be sure to put it up on Ebay. I'm not going through this again.

well im not sure if i can rma mine as it is currently running now.but i did just get my dead 2700 replaced and im almost scared to trust it in that mobo.my epox has a dead agp slot and only pci video card is 2mb cirrus,kinda sux

i will email them tho and see what they say about it tho.btw i like the mobo so much ill buy the asus nforce2 over the epox,but this thing is out of my rig asap.

I think I'm going to try the Asus Nforce2. Not the deluxe tho. I've not got the much $. Oh, and can you please tell me if that board will give me multiples without having to manually unlock the chip myself?

I just talked to AMD and they will replace my chip. They said they are not all that busy right now and will only take about a week to take care of. :D

What do you think my changes are of getting a Tbred B 2100?

i have no clue on the chances of a 2100 tbred are.mabey 50/50 id guess as 2100 pali stock should be down or almost gone.

id say tho you will most likley get a tbred is it comes from amd stock.they are out of the 2700 even at the moment.2800 id guess is out also.

its sad to see amd having to bite the bullet for what looks like an asus problem,who knows.whats weird is there isnt a mark or anything you notice on the chip.like burns,melting,smell.kinda leads me to think its the internals getting screwed and coused by the mobo.

btw my new 2700 fired right up in the a7v333.im gonna baby it big time until i can get a new mobo tho.

I hope it's a B. Not only for more speed, but they run cooler too.

Like you said there is no physical sign of the CPU being smoked, but it sure is dead.

I have to send it along with the heatsink and fan back in the original packaging. Good thing I kept that stuff. The connector on the hs fan is sliced off b/c I used the fan elsewhere. Do you think they will get picky about that? They shouldn't.

id doubt they will question that.just make sure its the correct fan as the serial numbers are on that fan sticker.
and yeh the B's run cooler.7-8c cooler over my 2200A

amd was great to deal with.even talked my pc shop i buy from to handle the rma.1-becouse amd is out of 2700 chips and id be waiting forever.2-when they found out it had no apperant heat issues it kinda ruled me out as a killer.

btw my shop wont handle rma's or replacements,amd talked into it! that says alot to me when i go to purchase another chip.i still feel asus owes amd $$$ tho.im gonna point this out to the amd rep as i need to email them anyhow.

My revision board is not recommeded on AMD's recommended mb's for the XP2100. 1.01 and 2.0 revisions are.

Maybe they know what is going on?

What revision board did you have that was messing up?

Last edited:
mine is a rev 1.04
not sure its recomended as havent seen the 2700 recomended either.but the 2600 is but i think its the 333fsb issue as kt333 isnt "officially" supporting it but still runs fine.

Back