• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folder Security in 98SE and XP Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCr

Registered
I need to find a program that will limit folder access and activity in 98SE and XP Home. I want to let others on the network be able to write to the folder and read the contents, but I don't want them to be able to modify or delete the files contained within. Is there such a program?

they can still be deleted if set to read only.

PCr said:
I need to find a program that will limit folder access and activity in 98SE and XP Home. I want to let others on the network be able to write to the folder and read the contents, but I don't want them to be able to modify or delete the files contained within. Is there such a program?

In XP at least, you can accomplish what you want to do by using NTFS permissions. Mind you, if you don't have an NTFS drive for your XP, you're kinda out of luck.

You could convert your drive, however

I thought only XP Pro had that option....does the Home version have it too?

PCr said:
I thought only XP Pro had that option....does the Home version have it too?

I'm pretty sure it does w/ an NTFS file system.

I've never played w/ the permissions in Home much, however. You might have to enable them first.

Back