• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major fragmentation problems need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natopotato

hers the deal

i have around 80gig wd hd
20gig is c: games and OS
56gigs [or so] is my misc storage [winmx swap drive]

i keep all my movies on 2 other hds but when i run winmx and have about 40 or so files in que my sys bogs down BAD! talken about 5 or so sec to change appz or worse

so i did a defrag and i had like 41% total frag 75% file frag

after i defrag its still the same says i have like 400 fragments per file 8(

whats the best way for me to deal with [best type of format] this kinda setup [large moving files kind of a swap disk]

my allocation size is set to 512 NTFS

HELP

Either you don't have enough free space or you have stystem files you cannot defragment. Diskeeper can take care of the later because it can defrag before windows loads. As for not enough disk space well there is not much you can do about that but clear some away ;) Perhaps removing your paging file while you defrag may help. Just remember to put it back! :)

Your gonna need to clear off a few gigs... I was in a situation kind of like yours. I got O&O Defrag Pro V4, ran stealth and it cleared things up.. It'll take a long time for it to defrag though

If u are downloading from winMX and u pause the download and start another one, you are taking up the clusters that where for ur first download what u paused...like this

------ represents clusters
1 represents ur first download u paused
2 represents ur second download u have started

-------[11111111][2222222222222][111111111]-------------

If u have multiable downloads like 5 and u keep pausing then..... ur HDD will easily fragment like the first example. This is what it would look like on ur HDD

-------[11111111][2222222222222][111111111][2222222222][33333333333][555555555555][2222222222][11111111][4444444444][222222222222][55555555555555555555][111111111111111111][4444444444444444444444]-------------

As u can see the data in the files are being scattered all over the place.....this is what causes fragmentaion.

And because ur files are not complete defrag will leave them alone as they don't know where they belong to...

I hope this helps :p :D

ok i normaly have at least 5gigs free... now that i think aboiut it i think my pagefile is on that drive... and my mx dls while not paused are constantly starting and stoping

if i decied to reformat whats my best option FAT with small alloc size? ill try those progs metioned to get a good defrag

thx guyz

any more tips are welcome :D

set your max and min size of page file to the same on page file, also its own partition on your fastest HDD wouldnt hurt :) - whether that caused the bad fragmentation or not I dont know.

Like i said....puasing and starting downloads at random times can cause fragmentaion. Like the Example i made above...seems the most logical reason for ur majour framentaion.

Maybe if you reformat, set aside a small (1 gig) partition where downloads reside initially, or add a seperate small (1-10gig) hard drive for your 'My Downloaded Files' (or whatever) folder.

That way, all your fragmentation probs will affect only one area.

When the d/load is complete, then move it from that drive to another location, and every now and again, format that drive, or something.

Should help resolve the prob in the future...

if winmx was acted like flashget..then there would be no problems with the files fragmenting when u pause them.... try setting up a maintance check when ever u are not using the computer....e.g. at night.

ok alot of good ideas here

"iamthegreatest" Suggested what Iv been thinking. FDISK my 80Gig so that i have:

4 Gig, OS only drive
2 Gig, Page file only drive
10 Gig, Temp File storage drive [perhaps 2 i usualy have ALOT of partial files]

Then split the remaining drive space into seperate storage, appz, games partitions

Im planning on getting a 120gig [maby larger] and splitting it into 3 40gig movie storage drives, and so forth

What do u think. If i maintained consistant [nightly] defrags of temp drives it should be much more efficient. If say my Temp partion get to messed up i could always transfer and format.

Thx guyz

I just have to get the 120 gig so i can back up and FDISK now

PS my transmision got screwed up gona cost me around 1K so it might be a lil while. McDs dont pay that great ;)

Back