• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3 or AA????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AA is NOT aluminum... It's a ceramic compund and is good if you are afraid of the electrical conductivity of AS (minimal, but there). People see a 1-3 C difference, but it's VERY hard to do a real test on the stuff. If you can afford it, go with the AS3.

I stand corrected, although I'm sure that aluminum oxide is a bit different than pure aluminum.

AS3 is still better because of the silver... The only way they could improve would be micronized diamond or something.

From they're website on AA:

Made with micronized aluminum oxide and boron nitride.
Arctic Alumina uses a layered composite of three unique shapes and sizes of ceramic particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer. This exclusive combination provides performance exceeding most metal based compounds.

Controlled triple phase viscosity.
Arctic Alumina does not contain any silicone. The suspension fluid is a proprietary mixture of advanced polysynthetic oils that work together to provide three distinctive functional phases. As it comes from the tube, Arctic Alumina's consistency is engineered for easy application in a thin even layer. During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.
(This should not be confused with conventional phase change pads that are pre-attached to many heatsinks. Those pads melt each time they get hot then re-solidify when they cool. The viscosity changes that Arctic Alumina goes through are much more subtle and ultimately much more effective.)

Absolute Stability.
Arctic Alumina will not separate, run, migrate, or bleed.

Electrical Insulator.
Arctic Alumina Compound is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

While Arctic Silver 3 does work better than Arctic Alumina, the difference is not that great. I used Arctic Alumina to get the overclock in my sig, and it obviously didn't cause me problems.

For me, I feel that the increase in performance that Arctic Silver 3 offers, which isn't that big, is not worth having the electrical conductivity, which also isn't that much. It basically comes down to a matter of preference. It probably doesn't really matter that much either way.

Back