• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question and first post!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorrows End

Hey everyone this is my first post here but anyways on to my question!

About a week ago I wanted to update my computer a little bit so that I could run Asheron's Call 2 a bit more smoothly, so I went to Circuit City and bought a Radeon 9k pro (didn't have the 9700 or a Geforce 128 card) and a 512 stick of Ram. I get home a pop my stick of ram in and it gives me a 164 memory size error, which from what I can remember is either an error for a bad stick of ram or your computer can't handle it. I call the company that makes my computer and they tell me that my computer is at the max amount of ram that it can handle already (512). Is there is a work-around for this meaning should I add the stick of ram and then go in and save/update my bios or should I believe them and just live with 512? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- Current setup AC2 works pretty dang good, I just wouldn't mind having that extra memory in there =)

The amount of allowable RAM memory is usually determined by the motherboard's chipset. Since you provided no information about your system, it's hard to guess whether indeed it has a 512 meg limit. If so, then I don't believe there is anything you can do, short of upgrading the motherboard. I would try one thing first though. Pull out your existing RAM and put the new stick in by itself and see if it works ok. If so, then possibly the motherboard really does have a 512 meg max or maybe the two sticks of RAM are not compatible with each other (like perhaps one is ECC and the other isn't). If the new stick does not work, then maybe it's a defective module or you got the wrong memory.

Back