• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a tissue a "lint free cloth?"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calvus

I'm about to install my new CPU and HSF, is a tissue an OK cloth to clean them with alcohol, or should I get something else (suggestions)

"Tissue"?

Is this as in toilet tissue, Kleanex Tissue or handkerchief-type tissue?

As for the first two- these are definatly NOT lint free, but 100%cotton tisses should be fine (I use an old school shirt I still had lying around- after 5 years of not going to school).

As long as its mostly cotton then you'll probably be fine.

I better add that thats based on my own experiences- there may be a better way, but if your in a rush.. it'll do.

{EDIT}
As a matter of curiosity- how have you managed to hang a case fan onto an IDE cable?

GoldenTiger said:
Q-tips are lint-free AFAIK. I've used them for years without issue.

Are they? Q-tip's are cotton buds you use to clean ears with arn't they (we dont have that brand over in the UK), I tried a couple when I was re-installing my Northbridge cooler, the cotton fell to bits almost immediately- they are OK for getting into tricky areas but I wouldnt use them to clean an entire HSF/ CPU- you would go through a whole packet in no time.
But like I said- they are fine for tricky areas and fine work.

StibzOC said:
Really why would you hang one and dont' you have to worry about the wires getting cought.

Thats what I want to know, the positioning might be great for northbridge cooling (for my set-up anyway).

But how does he not get stuff caught/tangled/sliced..?

Back