• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I do this ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

I have a 733 Celeron processor, with a Intel CA810e motherboard that I am trying to put in a Compaq 7478 case...anyway the power on/off switch, hdd led and power led connector does not match the motherboard...Can I just take a jumper and connect the two on/off pins on the motherboard just to see if this thing is going to boot...:)

If you are careful, sure. I am using an ignition switch off of an unused hotrod (one of those push button things) that I had.

The push button like woods is using will work, but the jumper will not. It needs a switch that is only closed when the button is pushed. If you use a jumper it should come on, boot for 3-5 seconds then turn off because the jumper is still closed. In theory you might be able to short the pins with a screwdrive and then remove it before it shuts off. Do not touch any other pins, the results could be "interesting"

Well Ridenow that is exactly what it is doing...don't think I will try the ole screwdriver trick...the "intersting" part sounds like something I will pass on...LOL...Thanks !!! The original switch has a green, yellow, orange, red, brown and blue wires. It looks like the green wire is connected to the switch with the orange wire going to one side of the power led and going to the blue wire, brown wire goes to the hdd led...the yellow I have no idea...guess I will try putting electrical tape on the jumper and snatching it off as soon as it powers up...LOL...still like the intersting comment...:D

Back