• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Obsidian

Hello this is my first post here so i'll tyr to be through.

I'm building my first computer and now it is time to select a video card. I dont know excatly what type i should get. I dont play very graphic intense games. The only ones I play are Everquest, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, WarCraftIII, StarCraft, Ultima Online, Asherons Call, All of the Forgotten Realms series, Counter Strike, The Sims with ALL expansions so far, And the Myst Trilogy

Hey now that I type that thats a decent list of games, I need to get a life!!

I'm wondering wich of the various cards at around the 100 range are best.

Welcome to the forums.
Im looking for a video card in that price range too. After asking around the same answer usually comes up. They all said to get a Radeon 8500le 128mb. Thats $94 at newegg and you might be able to get a refurbished one for even less. So thats the card im going to get as soon as i get some more money.

Sean

Thankx. I was looking at the ti4200's but they're just a bit more than i want to pay, i also have a strange idea that an nvidia powered mobo deserves a nvidia powerd graphics card but hey what ya gonna do. As the radeon is cheaper so be it.

Those games wouldnt even need that much power. They are not that demanding - a GF2 would even do the trick just fine. But a R8500LE wouldbe better for just a couple extra bucks and it would last much longer.

I have the 1800+ and a Ti4200, i am very happy with my card, and if you understand what 3dmark scores mean you can look at my sig and see what its capible of, i would go with MSI (mine) or ABIT for the Ti4200.

Welcome to the forums

Matt

Very nice mobo/proc choice... is it a t-bred?

8500LE seems to be the best bang for the buck under 100... for around 160 I'd say the 9500 Pro is next... the 8500LE will last you a couple years at least... Just be careful to get a good one... ie 250/250 or 275/275 if possible, I fooked up and ended up with a 250/200 and it only clocks up to 285/225 so far... GPU can take more, but not the ram.

I'd spend $120 and go for the 4200 64mb. Just lemme say that you wont regret your purchase. I'm using a gf4 MX440 64mb DDR, but I'm ready to upgrade, and I got this card less than a year ago! You dont wanna do what I did. Throw money away.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a Ti4200 with 128 mb of ram for under $100, even a refurb. You might get lucky and find a Ti4200 w/ 64 mb for under $100, but you will need to keep a sharp eye on the newegg.com refurbs. I'd go with that 8500le for $94 if you can't get a decent refurb. Thats going to be a sweet system.

Good luck.

Don't know if it will happen again, but I got the Asylum GF4 Ti 4200, (128MB ram) from Best Buy for about $100 after mail in rebates a few months ago. Worked well for me stock, but decided to change the cooler and add ram heatsinks for overclocking since the original was quite lacking. Worked just fine though without the changes. But of course I wanted to get more out of the card...and I have.

Back