• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help need beep code for kt7a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shep

I am helping a friend put a pc together and it will not boot just get 1 long beep and it shuts off. This is a kt7a with 1.2 Ghz tbird, a gf2 gts a fop38 and 256 mb crucial ram I haven't tried changing anything but I get the same results without ram or video card.

from pushardware.com:

When I try to boot my motherboard beeps at me. What does this mean?

There are a number of beep code you may experience:

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board

One beep - board is working fine

One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU

Beeeeeep-beep-beep - this means no video card detected (or poorly seated video card)

A single tone, repeated over and over. This is a memory problem (could be the DIMM, the controller, or the CPU cache memory).

A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages.

Rapid stream of beeps - this means a key is stuck on your keyboard, it is not properly plugged in, or the keyboard is incompatible in some way

Four beeps then machine shuts down - with BIOS version WW or WZb00 - this is because these version of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on FAN1 header. Make sure you attach a fan to this header! BIOS WZb01 and later have this functionality disabled by default, and it can be enabled in the BIOS.

The AWARD BIOS offers no other codes - any other error messages are displayed on the screen.

good luck!

mike

Shep (Mar 23, 2001 09:36 a.m.):
I am helping a friend put a pc together and it will not boot just get 1 long beep and it shuts off. This is a kt7a with 1.2 Ghz tbird, a gf2 gts a fop38 and 256 mb crucial ram I haven't tried changing anything but I get the same results without ram or video card.

Some new abit bios req the fan speed to be with limits ??4-6000?? or shut down occurs
check abit bios update info

hope it helps

Thanks for the help I got it working,( 1.2Ghz AVIA# running at 1425Mhz) the WW bios gives one long beep if it doesn't have a fan in header 1 I had my fop 38 plugged in there but I guess the rpm sensor quit working. I just built a clock ckt with a 555 timer and put this in it and it worked fine it pulses around 8500 rpm so the bios locks up when I try to look at it I am going to try some different thing and see if I can get it below 6000 rpm. BTW the yh bios didn't give me any beeps with out a fan it just shut down the board.

Back