• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron 460W PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feuerkampf

I am looking for a new PSU and after reading Larva's sticky on the real deal with PSU's I am tempted by the Fortron 460W, looks like a great PSU at a great price.

Does anyone have this PSU and like it? Loathe it?

Secondly I'm am confused by Directrons choice of that PSU for AMD or Intel, "Intel EPS12V or AMD ATX-GES," is what it says.

I haven't run into that before and I am assuming I am selecting the AMD one for my Rig, any answers?

Not sure about the AMD one but I think you want to avoid the one that says EPS since I know their is an Antec PSU that is a EPS12v that actually comes with a 24pin ATX connector instead of the standard 20pin. I had originally ordered a 550w Antec from Googlegear and they screwed up and sent me the EPS12v version and I was unable to use it.

Just looked at the site and if this is the one you are looking at:

http://www.directron.com/fsp46060pfn.html

You'll notice it has bold print near the end of the description that says it has the 24pin connector so unless you have a compatible motherboard then you can't use this I don't think. Although I believe they might sell adapters for this.

I have the fortron fsp400 and it is working great, ive only had it for about a week, but everything has been really good since i put it in. Would you really need the 460w though, Tom's hardware review said that the fortron 350w put out more like 450w. Im not sure how much my 400w puts out but im sure its a lot.

Sean

typhoonmike said:
Not sure about the AMD one but I think you want to avoid the one that says EPS since I know their is an Antec PSU that is a EPS12v that actually comes with a 24pin ATX connector instead of the standard 20pin. I had originally ordered a 550w Antec from Googlegear and they screwed up and sent me the EPS12v version and I was unable to use it.

Just looked at the site and if this is the one you are looking at:

http://www.directron.com/fsp46060pfn.html

You'll notice it has bold print near the end of the description that says it has the 24pin connector so unless you have a compatible motherboard then you can't use this I don't think. Although I believe they might sell adapters for this.

Hmm thats a shame, I'd rather not use an adapter, and no I am sure I don't need 460W but it was such a good price I figured why the hell not :)

I guess I'll go with the 400W.

Feuerkampf said:

I guess I'll go with the 400W.

Good idea. Even the 350W model is a horse. The 460W model is intended for specific server boards that use the 24 pin connector. I do not recommend it over the 400W model for conventional 20 pin applications. I still haven't seen the system the 350 won't run, so it's hard to get all-fired concerned about supplies larger than the 400. Some people's 400W supplies are just average, Fortron/Sparkle's is just awesome.

Back