• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 4pin fan connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I have the Antec TRUE550W, and I have a dumb question on the 4 pin fan connector which I'm assumeing is to give the mobo the info of what the rpms the PS fans are running at. My Mobo is not reading anything, which I'm guessing is just my mobos falt. Or is that connector for something else? Umm... yeah...

You mean the 4pin molex connectors coming out of the powersupply saying fan or fan only? Those are just used to run case fans. They don't come with RPM sensors because they just provide power from the PS to fans.

Also I'm not sure if the Antec power supplies come with them but I know my Enermax came with a 2 pin connector that you could plug into a fan header on the motherboard so that it could read the PS fan RPM. Just never used it myself.

http://www.antec-inc.com/product/powers/ps_image/fanonly.jpg

Is that what you are talking about? That is to provide power to your case fans and supposedly is thermally controlled I believe. It can speed up or slow down your fans based on temp somewhere.

http://www.antec-inc.com/p_true550.html

That right there is a link to that particular PS and the info about it and it's fan only connectors.

That power supply has a small 3 pin fan sensor that plugs into the motherboard. If that is what you're referring to, yes your motherboard should be reading the PSU's RPM's. It runs between 1400 and 1500RPMs until called upon to cool more seriously. Maybe the fan is running at a speed under the minimum threshold for your MB software.

I have the same problem:

When I connect the three pin connector to the motherboard, I can't get a RPM reading - the board registers zero RPMs.

Also, where are the temp sensors located for the fan only plug connectors?

Yeah i meant 3-pin, brain fart. Now it sometimes works for the PS fan other times it dosn't and sometimes it won't read the cpu fan. just depends on who knows what.,..

Now it sometimes works for the PS fan other times it dosn't and sometimes it won't read the cpu fan.

That really sounds like a Motherboard problem.

As for the where is the sensor? I have no idea, but I would assume it is internally housed near the heatsink. The manual is fairly cryptic and only refers to "special circuitry" that runs an "advanced temperature response system", whatever that means.

Back