• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Stock Heatsinks Different?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I just bought an athlon XP 1700. It came with a stock heatsink.

I currently have a XP 2000 installed, and it also has a stock heatsink. The fan on it is jiggling and loud (sounds almost lose).

The two heatsinks are different. My question: Does anyone know if there is any major difference in cooling power between the two AMD heatsinks? Thanks.

dont know if they are different, i would think you could tell by looking, they arent real fancy or anything.

the fan however should not be jiggling, either press your finger on it or move it a little, and see if that helps quiet it - if so fasten it down better permanently. does it look like its vibrating or something?

Try to use lift the fan blade with flaws or some hook gently.
If you are able to lift the impeller, than the fan unit is bad.

This happens time to time when fan manufacture reuse the plastic C locking ring at the bottom.

It has like a lose ticking/grinding sound. It sounds like a crappy fan, thats what it sounds like. If push down on it, it quiets down a lot.

The 1700 heatsink is in need of some lapping but thats it, I will test it out to see how good it cools, and hopefully its quiet and keeps the temps down.

Back