• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W.T.F???? ABIT KT7A-RAID is a good board right???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

I got the kt7a-raid, I am really impressed with its performance but a couple of funny things are goin on. 1. My temps are alot higher under load on this board than my FIC AZ11E, they went from 45'C to like 50'C or so. The other is that I can no longer overclock!!!!! WTF!!!! I was easily able to hit 1133 to 1200 with no problems on my old board, i cant get this one stable at anything other than 1000, luckily even though I am stuck here for the time being I can run 133X7.5 to get 1000. I have checked the hsf, and lapped it. It's all good as far as that is concerned. My idle temp has stayed about the same 25-28'C depending on room temp. Do you think I should just get bettr cooling? Or do you think it's something else.

Fiz (Mar 23, 2001 09:55 p.m.):
I got the kt7a-raid, I am really impressed with its performance but a couple of funny things are goin on. 1. My temps are alot higher under load on this board than my FIC AZ11E, they went from 45'C to like 50'C or so. The other is that I can no longer overclock!!!!! WTF!!!! I was easily able to hit 1133 to 1200 with no problems on my old board, i cant get this one stable at anything other than 1000, luckily even though I am stuck here for the time being I can run 133X7.5 to get 1000. I have checked the hsf, and lapped it. It's all good as far as that is concerned. My idle temp has stayed about the same 25-28'C depending on room temp. Do you think I should just get bettr cooling? Or do you think it's something else.

not sure why the difference is so large. The overclocking bit can be explained at anandtech. The KT133A chipset has some differencence. but the KT7a is supposed to be devoid of those problems. You could try better cooling, as that never can hurt. I am stumped here. So i gues this is more a bump than anything.

Don't know about the fic board, but for the kt7a the voltage regs. are just below the cpu. (unless there's another way of installing the board). There's a good cover story on using a h/f on 'em. What kind of hs/f do you have?...
And yes the abit kt7a is one of the best boards on the market. The newest batch is s'posed to go up to 183 fsb. Mine only gets 155. Great board though!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!! It turns out that when I lapped the hsf I put the clip on in reverse. The main pressure point wasn't right over the core!!!! I took it off bent the clip so it would be a little tighter put it back the way it should be and all seems to be back to normal. LOLOL, I'm gonna go drool on myself for a while now and slap myself in the face for a bit.. LOL :)

Most all lessons are learned the hard way. Glad you didn't damage the chip. Also glad you got the best board on the market as far as I am concerned.

Hey Jughead, where did you hear about this new Abit mobo that is coming out?? I'm in the process of buying a new mobo, maybe tonight(ABIT), but if what you're saying is true ,I better hold on. Tell me more about this please! Do you know when is coming out?

Thanks.

I believe that Jughead was referring to a review that talked about the more recently manufactured boards having a higher FSB potential, not a new board.

Terry

Back